DVD counting question..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Crosthwait, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Bill Crosthwait

Bill Crosthwait Second Unit

Hey everyone, I just have a curious question. How do you count your DVDs in your collection? For example, The Abyss collectors edition would you count that as two discs or as one DVD? How do you count your season box sets? Also what about Fox’s 2 movies on one DVD disc, would you count that as two movies or just one disc. I am just wondering. Thanks

2. Michael Dueppen

Michael Dueppen Stunt Coordinator

I count titles not discs. A two-disc SE is one title. Two movies on one disc is one title as well.

Box Sets are a difficult thing. I count Box Sets like Friends Seasons as one title. Although I don't own any of these I would probably count each movie in a Hitchcock or 007 set as one title.

3. Carl Walker

Carl Walker Stunt Coordinator

I count DVD's. Since The Abyss is a 2-DVD set, then in my inventory system, it is counted as 2 DVD's. X-Files season 1 is 7 DVD's. Porkys/Porkys 2 (on 1 disc from Fox) is 1 DVD.

4. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

I collect movies, not discs. [​IMG]

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I do it exactly the way Carl Walker explained. I count the number of shiney round things I own.

If I got a disc with 2 films on it (Fantastic Voyage/Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea), then I have one thing. If I have one film across two discs (Ten Commandments), then I have two things. If I buy a box set with 5 films and a separate supplement disc (Planet Of The Apes - Evolution Box Set), then I have 6 things.

I can't figure out any other concrete way to count it.

What is X-Files Season 3? 1 SKU, 24 "features", or 7 discs?

DVD profiler will count your SKUs, so that's what many HTFers use since it's easy. Myself, I have an Excel spreadsheet where I input each discs' contents. So I count discs.

It's up to you. Whenever I say "I own 1045 DVDs", I mean I own 1045 shiney round things, okay? I try to specify *discs* in such a statement.

6. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

For my movies, I count titles. No matter how many discs it takes up, it counts as one movie in my database. In the rare instances where more than one feature-length film is on a disc (or disc set), then each movie is counted separately.

For television/short film sets, I count each physical package as one entry. Thus, each season of X-Files has one entry, each disc of Twilight Zone has an entry, and so on.

-greg

7. David Lambert

8. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

9. Dave Gilbert

Dave Gilbert Second Unit

I count movies.

Fight Club has two discs, but counts as one movie.

The Die Hard box set is six discs, but counts as three movies.

Mini-series and TV shows count as one however. Sopranos season box sets and Pride & Prejudice (my wife's :b ) count as one each.

10. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I count the actual movie.

11. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

12. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i count by movie . for example fight club 2 dvd set is counted as 1 on my list. but for the prisoner i count it as ten discs even tho there are 17 eps.

13. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    As Michael said, I collect movies, not discs. If a movie spans multiple discs, that's one. If two movies share a disc, that's two. I count television programming by season. I don't buy any of that "best-of" garbage.

14. Bill Crosthwait

Bill Crosthwait Second Unit

woops, sorry about DVDsin....I mean DVDs in.

15. Michael Moulton

Michael Moulton Stunt Coordinator

I use what might be considered an odd mix of the two.

In general, I count movies-- a 2-disc SE of a movie is one title. However, for some things, I count it as two-- example, the 2-disc Army of Darkness LE. That was really 2 discs that were sold separately, but put in one package (and the price reflects it), so I counted it as 2.

TV series box sets I count per disc with episodes... a disc of supplements I wouldn't count, probably. Box sets with supplement discs (Scream, Toy Story, Nightmare on Elm Street, etc.), I count the movie discs and not the supplement disc.

16. David Lambert

17. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I count the films so Toy Story UTB = 2, Gladiator = 1, Jurassic Park boxset = 3.

18. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman

19. David Lambert

Semantics, Joe.

The producers of the two different shows SUBJECTIVELY decided that one should call the pilot "Episode 1" and "Episode 2", and the other decided it should be called "Episode 0" and not counted as part of the first season.

Star Trek made the opposite call two decades previous, when they filmed "The Cage" and did NOT call it "Episode 1".

Again, subjective issues that interfere with accurate DVD counts. That's why I count *DVD's*, not SKUs or "features".

I think I've made my case, and it's probably tedious to you all. I'm gonna bow out of the rest of this thread, methinks.

20. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I count UPCs... however many titles DVD Profiler says I have is what I go by.