DVD Costs

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JohnMcCallum, Feb 6, 2006.

1. JohnMcCallum

JohnMcCallum Extra

I'm writing an Econ paper on DVD authoring, production, etc, and I need to know all the cost involved with this process. How much does it cost to do a transfer? How much does an extra cost? Things like that. I need as much info as possible, and costs are the most important info I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. John Whittle

John Whittle Stunt Coordinator

Unfortunately, this is a question that can not be answered in general. Every title has it's own costs and budget just like every movie has it's own budget.

A telecine suite is charged by the hour, how long you'll be in there depends on your title, producer, director, dp and label. It's not unusual to spend a week or two of ten hour days at $350 per hour and that's just for a transfer, then there's authoriing, graphic design, etc.

If you're pressing hundreds of thousands of copies of a new popular title, none of this amounts to much per disc, but if it's a limited title, then it's substatial.

I think you'll have to research two or three actual titles and see if you can talk to a "friendly source" at a studio and see what you can find out.

Etras, like commentary will depend on talent and recording studio time plus editing, etc.

So you can see it's no simple line item question/answer.

John

3. JohnMcCallum

JohnMcCallum Extra

Thanks John.

I understand each title cost's are different, but all I need is a generalization. It is a hypothetical situation with rough values. Any values would help, even rough estimates.