DVD contamination

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jay Tee, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Jay Tee

Jay Tee Auditioning

I'm using a Liteon DVD Recorder and TDK+RW disks but am having a problem with erasing and re-recording. So far 7 disks that once worked fine, all of a sudden become unreadable, uneraceable and cannot be recorded over. I've tried using the laptop's DVD program to erase them but it won't read those disks either. They have somehow become contaminated for no reason I can detect. I tried cleaning but that did nothing. Can anybody help, this thing is eating my disks as fast as I can buy new ones?

2. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

At $0.25 each (for -R and +R), I don't bother with RWs myself anymore. The speed of recording is worth more than re-usability for me; but there are two ways to erase - "quick" and "full" or "deep". Quick stores an error map that can become full and you run out of room but there is no indication that that is what happens (that I have seen). When I used CD-RW for data transfer, I had to deep erase every other week or so. Have you tried that? If you don't have the option then you might need to try some other utility than the OEM versions that come with many burners.

Does it still work normally with new disks (for a while)? If it doesn't work with new disks either, then that would indicate a drive failure. If it stops working after time then a deep erase would be needed since data corruption during record would leave the disk unreadable and you can't quick erase if you can't read the data correctly.

There is also the "record proof" flag that can be set (like the tabs on VCR and cassette tapes).

If you are formatting the disks for "drag and drop" then you will also have to deep erase and reformat periodically. Rather than do that you can treat the disk as a -/+R and copy your data; then erase and repeat as needed. Formatted disks use up their error map very quickly. Deep erasing heats and smoothes the entire disk with no regards for track locations leaving only the manufacturer's hard coded data.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Do disks recorded just once work OK and last a long time as best as you can determine?

Perhaps the disks you are using are of poor quality, good enough for one time recording but not for re-recording.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Blaine Skerry

Blaine Skerry Second Unit

Jay, I also have a Liteon DVD(5005) recorder and had the same problem with Memorex-RW discs although the Memorex-R's have been fine. I bought five Sony+RW's and have had no errors since. Try changing brands.