What's new

DVD Connections (1 Viewer)

Scott Adam

Stunt Coordinator
I know component video seems to be the best, maximum transfer procedure preferred when connecting a DVD player to a TV, but is S-Video considered alright, too? I am running an S-Video cable between my Panny player and my (soon to be replaced, damaged) Sony set; can this be considered "good enough" of a picture; that is, S-Video connections? Is component REALLY necessary?

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator
Component is preferable. If your TV is capable of receiving a progressive signal, it is necessary.

Scott Adam

Stunt Coordinator
Thank You Bob,

Do you honestly see a night and day difference on a screen when watching, say a DVD, between component connections and S-Video? Is the picture really THAT much cleaner? Could S-Video be considered, well, acceptable at least?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
That will depend partially on the size of the TV. In my old setup (VGA resolution of 640x480 projected at 84" diagonal), I was able to see subtle differences and I actually ran a test using A Bug's Life. The s-video exhibited a slight halo (bleeding) around Hopper's body that component completely fixed. There may be slight colour differences as well but nothing that calibration won't balance.,

Scott Adam

Stunt Coordinator
Thank You, Neil...

I was, for the most part, pretty much satisfied with the S-Video delivery of my DVDs; I was just wondering if I should consider upgrade to separating the colors via component or just stick with S-Video as I get ready to purchase a new TV set; my 27 or so inch Sony got damaged a couple of nights ago and I dont know how---there was some kind of surge or something as I was leaning down next to my wall unit in order to make some speaker wire adjustments in the back of my surround receiver, and I was talking on the cordless phone...suddenly, I lost the call, it went to total static, and something happened to my TV set---now, the picture looks "cut off" on the sides, and "uneven" if you can imagine that; seems like some kind of tube damage took place and Im probably gonna have to purchase a new set; probably wouldnt pay to fix it...

So, are you saying that for the most part, there will probably be some color differences between S-Video and component---nothing image wise that will knock my socks off as far as differences, huh?

Scott Adam

Stunt Coordinator
Really, Jack? I was just about sold on the fact that for a set around 27 inches, component and S-Video would be hard to tell apart...after reading some debates on the issue all over the 'Net...seems most folks knowledgable on the subject say differences would be hard to detect between component and S Video...now, COMPOSITE and S-Video, now, thats another story altogether...but who uses composite today anyway? Especially for a DVD connection!!??

What kind of significant differences does your component connection provide? Can S-Video be considered "tolerable" for a home theater system, in your opinion?

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Scott, component video does offer improvements over S-Video and is definitely worth getting on a new TV. Component video offers the best color detail of all analog connections and unlike S-Video has no color artifacts. Is there any reason for not getting a TV with component video?

Scott Adam

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Richard,

Thank you...actually, believe it or not, last night when I was rewiring my surround system, I was behind the wall unit and my hip bumped up against the wall outlet where the surge protector is plugged in, and something clicked and kind of "reset" through all my components again...and now, inexplicably, the TV set is working again without that tube distortion I was describing before; the only thing I could think of is that some kind of power surge is going through that wall outlet and causing all kinds of electronics problems; just a couple of weeks ago, my Onkyo receiver wasnt kicking on even as I pressed power over and over again; so I went behind the wall unit and shut off the surge protector and turned it back on, and when I did, all the settings for surround in my receiver were changed and reset; but some kind of power surge caused the receiver to not kick on after I pressed power----so I am suspecting this wall outlet I have everything plugged into...

So, making a long story short, being that my Sony seems to be working again, I guess after all Im not in the market for a new TV, so I will continue using my S-Video connection which is already there...

Does anyone support the S-Video connection; anyone in here use it as a primary connection in their own systems? Any problems so far with the connection?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks