DVD Connection

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by RonGecan, May 18, 2003.

1. RonGecan

RonGecan Agent

Sorry for a dumb question, but does an optical connection between DVD and receiver cary both audio and video signals? How about for S Video and digital coax?

Thanks,

Ron.

2. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

The optical connection just carries the 5.1 audio signal. The S-Video carries only the video (picture). Not sure what you mean by digital coax. That could either be the composite or component video signal. How many of these do you see, 1 or 3 ? If it's composite, 3 for component. Any help ?

3. RonGecan

RonGecan Agent

Thanks for the quick reply. My dvd player has all outs: RCA, optical, 1 digial coax, S-video, and component video. So I assume, based on what you say, that I chose one type of audio out (either RCA, coax, or optical) and one video out (RCA, S-video, or component video). I do not have anything special for the TV, so my only video out choice has to be RCA. But then I can make any audio connection I want (based upon the audio hardware I have)?

I was originally thinking that I only needed to make a single optical connection to cover both audio and video.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Video and audio signals are output separately from DVD players, except for that rare instance where the player offers an RF out that's designed to be connected to a TV like a cable box.

Digital optical and digital coax carry audio. So do the left and right analog channels that use RCA connections.

Composite video (1 RCA plug), S-video (1 S-video plub) and component video (3 RCA plugs) all carry video only.

If you haven't already done so, you may want to spend some time with our Beginner's Primer and FAQ. Use the link in my signature.

M.

5. RonGecan

RonGecan Agent

Thanks. Yes I will take a closer look at the FAQ's, though have perused them a bit in the past.

Here's really what I'm trying to get at. As mentioned, I'm going to have to use a RCA connection to the video. So a standard connection there and no problem. But, I'd like to upgrade my audio connections from RCA to digital given that now I have a new receiver capable of accepting digital signals (Denon 1082 bought last week).

The back of the Denon has a lot of RCA ports, in particular for the DVD player a Right, Left, and video. As for the optical in, that is grouped else were on the panel. So, if I use a single RCA connection for the video, but a an optical connection else were, how will the receiver know to group this RCA video with the optical audio signal given that they're in two distinct locations? Is there a selection in the receiver setup that designates that optical in as a DVD signal (to get matched with the video signal) rather than, say, a CD player signal that I'll connect optically to another port?

Sorry if this is confusing. But any help is much appreciated!

Ron.

6. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Ron,

You are correct, Denon has an option in the setup menu that allows you to assign your optical or coax digital audio inputs to any video input you want. I currently have optical 1 assigned to DVD and coax 1 assigned to TV/DBS. Look in your manual for "assigning digital audio inputs", it's a pretty easy process.

7. RonGecan

RonGecan Agent

Indeed. Thanks. I took a quick check and see what you're referring to in the set-up menu. Pretty straight-forward and problem solved. :)

Ron.