DVD Connection Question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Alex S, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

I picked up a cheap 2nd dvd player for my wife.
    I was all set to hook it up to our tv in the den but
    when I turned the tv around I found no place to hook anything up. The only thing it has is an input for the cable. Very strange considering the tv is only a year old.

I have another tv in the basement but after looking at that it didn't have an S-Video connection only a yellow video in and a white audio in.

Could I hook up the dvd player using only the yellow and white cables ?

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

That is odd- maybe other connections are there but hidden? Sometimes they hide them in a panel somewhere.

If not, you coudl STILL use this tv, buy a cheap RF modulator from radio Shack. The picture will be not as nice (due to the bandwidth of RF video) -- but it will work.

-Vince

3. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

Thanks Vince !

[​IMG]

This might be a stupid question but the tv in the den with no connectors other than the cable input (I checked for hidden panels and there are none) has a vcr hooked up to it.

Is it possible to connnect the dvd player to the vcr and be able to watch dvds ?

4. EduardoBonifaz

EduardoBonifaz Stunt Coordinator

I don´t recommend this since most dvd players with macrovision enabled won´t pass a watchable signal to the a/v inputs of a VCR, I think the best option is using the RF modulator, Hope this link help you http://www.monstercable.com/hookup/

5. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

Could you explain what a RF modulator is and how it's hooked up ?

And how much they cost ?

6. EduardoBonifaz

7. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

Thanks Eduardo.

What type of RF nodulator should I get ?
    Mono or Stereo ?

8. EduardoBonifaz

since most dvds come with multichannel and stereo tracks (only older movies have a mono track), I´d go for the stereo[​IMG]

9. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

10. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Well it's a matter of personal pref- keep in mind that dvd's audio and video quality will be seriously decreased by using a rf modulator product- so does it matter if it is stereo? Up to you (and important to find out if the TV even supports stereo signal, or even has two speakers, as it may very well be mono!)

The RS one is for "connecting DVD to TV"-- but just because RS says that's what it is for doesn't mean that is all it can do, or that it is the BEST solution for doing so. The statement is, it will work. It will give you picture and sound (although both degraded to a degree)-- and certainly if you don't care about stereo vs. mono- you can go for the cheap one!

They also sell a stereo one for $10 more, and it also says "for connecting DVD to tv":
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D2525

-v

11. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

Vince,

I picked up one from RS on my lunch hour.
    If I'm not happy with the picture or sound, the dvd player and RF modulator are going back.

Thanks.

12. EduardoBonifaz

Let me know hoe the RS does it´s job!, but you´ve got to consider in future plans going component video

13. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

Eduardo,

When that tv goes I'll make sure the next one has connections for component video or s-video.

Our main tv is a 36 inch with a home theater sound system and is connected by s-video. This is just so my wife can watch the few dvd's she has without bothering me.

[​IMG]