DVD conection woes

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by bill::m, Jan 19, 2004.

1. bill::m

bill::m Auditioning

I am trying to connect a Panasonic dvd recorder DMR E50 to a Dishnetwork 501 PVR and a Phillips TV. My goal is to copy directly from the harddrive of the PVR to the DVD. I have tried many different connections without success. The best I have achieved is the sat on one input and the recorder on another. No benefit there. Can someone guide me?

Bill

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I don't believe this is possible. The Panasonic E50 does not have a direct digital input that would allow a bit-for-bit copy from an external device. All you can do is connect the PVR's analog outputs (both audio and video) to the Panasonic's analog inputs; then you play back recordings on the PVR and record them to DVR, in real time.

M.

3. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Your PVR should have both composite and S-video outputs, and your Panasonic has the same inputs (S-video is preferable). If you use the Panasonic's higher quality recording modes (SP,XP or in some cases FR) with S-video, your image quality shouldn't suffer much (if at all).... right gang? I'm a month or so away from getting mine, so I don't have any first hand experience (only extrapolation based on online research). Can somebody verify (or debunk) me here?

I'm planning on getting the Panasonic DMR-E80H.... newegg.com has it for $549.00 shipped!

4. bill::m

bill::m Auditioning

Thanks for the advice and redirection.

Bill