What's new

DVD component question (1 Viewer)

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
I've got the Sony KV-34XBR910 and intend to get a progressive scan player (that Panasonic RP91 deal at Crutchfield looks good). I'll do HDTV via DVI and the DVD via component. My question concerns the component cable, interlaced vs progressive. Most of what's for sale is described merely as component, and where I can tell from the picture the lettering says Y,Pb,Pr...that's supposed to be interlaced I thought, but most sites say they can be used for progressive also. Crutchfield describes the Panasonic Component Video Out as Y,Pb,Pr but says you can switch between interlaced and progressive. However, the Monster component cable they recommend is the only one I've seen that seems to be Y,Cb,Cr which I've understood to be the true progressive design. Finally, the Sony inputs say Y,Pb,Pr.
What say you progressive DVD owners?

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
No Y-Pb-Pr is analog component video, regardless of format (480i,480p,720p,1080i). Y-Cb-Cr is the same information but in digital format prior to conversion to analog on the component video connectors. A few manufacturers used to say "Y-Cb-Cr" improperly, its only an internal format not available externally. I say just ignore all of that - there is only component video. In any case, I'd say for the Sony 34XBR910 you want a progressive player with a better de-interlacer, the RP91 is fine for interlaced but has a poor de-interlacer an old model. You should be looking for one with a top-rated Faroudja de-interlacer like the Denon DVD-1600.

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Don for clearing up the cable question...you've probably noticed I started a DVD thread where I dropped the Panasonic anyway because I need multi disc. I'd appreciate your insight on the DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks