dvd component display green on TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by erikD, Feb 17, 2002.

1. erikD

erikD Auditioning

Greetings,

I'm trying to figure out a rather strange problem with my Philips TV and Kenwood DVD player. I have the DVD connected directly to my TV's component in as my receiver does not have a component video out.

When watching DVD's, I get a very green tinted picture. I've tried every adjustment that I could think of but nothing seems to make it any better. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thank you,

Erik

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Erik,
    You weren't watching The Matrix were you [​IMG]
    I would check the cables and possibly swap them around and see if it changes. Chances are you have a bum cable in the mix (or the bum send in the DVD player or in the TV-- but I'd try the cables first).
    -Vince

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

It's not at all unusual to have different types of inputs on the same TVs require separate configuration. Do you have a calibration disc such as Video Essentials or AVIA? Try calibrating the contrast, brightness and especially color and tint using the component inputs and then the S-video. My guess is the values will be different.

The only way to really ring out these differences is to have the set professionally calibrated.

M.

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Does your TV accept both RGB and component Y/Pb/Pr video? Does the player output your choice of RGB or component video? If so be sure the DVD player and the TV are both set to match. If so, these selections are always manual. If menus are used to make the selection the screen despite the green appearance will still show the menus adequately.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Welcome to the HTF! You're going to get lots of ideas here. Along with the ones above mine, recheck that all of the cables are pushed all the way in to their sockets, and make sure that they are in the correct ones. It is easy to screw that up, and if you have a red output swapped with a green input, who knows what the picture will look like!

Glenn

6. erikD

erikD Auditioning

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice. I've double checked the connections and I had them set correctly. I'm going to try a different cable and then default to S-Video if that doesn't clear up the issue.

thanks again,

Erik