What's new

DVD Collectability (1 Viewer)

Jon_Gu

Stunt Coordinator
I'm always careful with my TVonDVD sets, as I'm sure we all are. Here's a question tho, in future years, when we may loose titles (out of production), do you think sets that still contain -all- of the original literature will be more valuable?

With that said, I'm well aware that the title itself determines its desireability. But what about still having the free movie tickets, etc with the set?

I'm not collecting as an investment, I enjoy the shows that I buy, but I don't want to devalue a set either.

Thoughts, comments?

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I don't think the free movie tickets would be a bonus, nor the paper ads included with some. Of course if a DVD came with chapter list, production pamphlet etc...those would probably entice a collector, just as how older video games with the boxes and manuals hold a higher value. The video game analogy would only hold true I assume if a DVD you have now was not released in its original format on new media.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure that there are some people who 'collect dvds' as objects, and for them things like that would matter. But myself, and I suspect most of us, are collecting movies, not dvds. In the far future I'll probably value my dvds as much as I do vhs tapes now, since my movies will probably be on some better media. :)

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I imagine some of these DVDs will, like some VHS and Laserdiscs, be victims of the PC police in future formats, that or the let's forget the past and only look to the positive diluted future movement running rampant with some of today's youth. So there will be some collectibility to DVD.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I collect only tv shows that you would never ever see on tv again.

Land of the Lost
Buck Rogers
Different Strokes
Original Battlestar Galactica series

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Some DVD Sets that have Collectables may one day become Collectors Items. But only if they are NEVER opened. (I have Volume 4 of SPEED RACER, The one with the little MACH V in it, as well as the Movie CARS that Best Buy came out with with the Four Charactures.) One day they will probably fetch a Premium Price.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
It all depends on whether or not TV shows, movies, animation, etc. are released in future formats. If not, then the DVD will be highly collectable, IMHO. For example, I have the pilot episode of "The Invaders" on VHS that was released by Republic Pictures a number of years ago. "The Invaders" has never been officially released on DVD, so the price on this single episode release has skyrocketed. A current check at Amazon from their marketplace sellers shows a minimum price of $60 . . . for a single episode. Of course, I'm realistic enough to realize that the minute there's an official DVD release of "The Invaders," that VHS copy won't be worth anything. I'm guessing that there are plenty of TV shows, etc. that have been released on DVD that won't "make the cut" when the next great jump in home entertainment technology occurs. Those DVDs will be collectable.

Chris Roberts

Stunt Coordinator
Most TV on DVD packaging seems flimsy to me when I look at them from an archival perspective. I noticed a few of my TV show boxes started to come apart before I switched to disc binders for everything. While I'm obviously not a collector I do wonder how well the thin cardboard and glue used for many TV sets will hold up in the coming years. Thin-cases inside a cardboard cover should be okay, but I expect most of the plastic holders glued to fold-out cardboard style cases will fall apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks