DVD clip to Quicktime (for own DVD)>

Discussion in 'Computers' started by David Benkert, Apr 26, 2004.

1. David Benkert

David Benkert Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

We have a DVD that we want to take a 30 second an 60 second clip from and put it on our website. Does anyone know the proper software to do this?

I think I might just plug my DVD player into my computer and record the parts I need, but then how do I get it in a playable format to play from our site or download (quicktime/WM)?

I am using a PC.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    David

2. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

I'm pretty sure that might be illegal (without proper permissions), even if it is only a small clip of the movie.

3. David Benkert

David Benkert Stunt Coordinator

Dang, I meant to try and make that clear, but I didn't - sorry.

This DVD is our product. We own it :)

4. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

So you own the movie itself, or just the DVD?

If it is copy-protected, then it is illegal to break the copy-protection. (You have no fair-use rights anymore in this case.)

If the DVD is not copy protected, you should just be able to copy the VOB files from your DVD to the hard drive.

www.doom9.org has a bunch of guides for converting different formats and such.

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Do you have access to the original video -- DV, AVI, whatever -- before it got converted to a DVD? Getting video out of a DVD into a convertable format is a hassle, on purpose.

If you can get something you can open with QuickTime, you can save it as MPEG-4. That will probably have the widest playability. You may need to upgrade to QuickTime Pro, which is thirty bucks.

Then you have to goof around with the OBJECT and EMBED tags to make it viewable on different browsers.