DVD Clarification - Using Component Video

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Robert-J, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Robert-J

Robert-J Auditioning

So, with my Samsung HLR4667W I've only got one HDMI input, which I am using for the HD cable box as it is actually an HD signal.

From the thread called "what's the point of DVD upconversion?" (sorry can't post links yet) I am guessing that when I get a new DVD player I will only need to get a progressive one since it will connect via component video and so any upconversion will be done by the TV regardless. (I don't want to spend $400 on an HDMI switch right now.)

I just wanted to make sure that my logic is correct here and that I am not making a mistake by not getting a DVD player that upconverts. If this is true, I'd rather save the money for when HDDVD comes out and spend it then.

If my assumptions are correct, how much of a difference am I going to notice between my current non-progressive scan player and a new one that has it? Or since the DVD is recorded in 480i is the difference mainly going to be related to better DAC's in a newer player?

I just want to make sure that I get this straight.

2. John S

John S Producer

Well, where do you draw the line on it????

I mean, you could most like send that display a 480i signal via it's component video and it's internal de-interlacer and scaler is going to give you display at HD resolutions.

May sending 480p from a DVD player to the display be better? maybe, maybe not...

May sending 720p from a DVD player to the display be better? Once again maybe, maybe not...

May sending 1080i from a DVD player to the display be better? Maybe, maybe not...

I have pretty many friends using upconversion these days and we all seem happy with it, including myself.

Other people I have running 480i via component and it seems truly best.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

It is still possible for the TV to do a better job of upconversion all the way from 480i component input from the player to what the TV puts on the screen compared with the player you end up buying.

There is homework to do before you replace your 480i player with a progressive player. Google for Stacy Spears Shootout Secrets and look at the DVD player reviews there.

Most HDTV;s display in only one scan rate: 1080i or 720p or 768p. Don't bother trying a DVD player's 1080i output into a 720p or 768p TV if you have 720p as a choice, don't bother trying the player's 720p output into a 1080i TV if you have 1080i as a choice.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/viddoubl.htm

4. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member

Doug
    Let's not lose sight of the fact that deinterlacing and scaling are two completely different things. Generally speaking, the deinterlacer in the typical HDTV display is inferior to the deinterlacer in a quality DVD player by a wide margin. Scaling is another issue entirely.

5. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I just want to second that advice. You are about to be at the moment where you discover if your DVD player has a good motion adaptive deinterlacer or not.

And the irony is the good players cost the same as the crappy players. It's all about checking the Shootout and seeing which models pass the tests and which one's don't.

Shootout

Find a player on the Shootout that gets a "pass"ing grade on the "Motion Adaptive" test (and as many other tests as possible).

6. Robert-J

Robert-J Auditioning

Thanks for the input! Looks like I am going to have to see if I can demo a few progressive players in the next couple of weeks.

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

They aren't that separated. Yes, deinterlacing is a slightly different function that scaling a progressive frame, but they are all processing functions on the video, and as video processing goes, these are two very similar functions. It is more common that the best end-result will be achieved if ALL the processing gets handled in one place, by the best possible processor. Now, yes display processing is not that great compared with standalone video processing, or even that done in many more expensive upsacling players. As such, upscaling in the player, or even getting a progressive player *might* help, depending. But, if there is a high-quality processor in the chain, it's usually best to feed it the most original form of the video, ie 480i, and let it do all the deinterlacing, scaling, and other processing. Because there is so much going on, and so much variation in quality of processing, its very difficult to make generalizations. You really do just have to try different combinations of sources and processing locations.