DVD Changer? SonyDVP-NC655P or Onkyo DV-CP500

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EdL, Sep 9, 2002.

1. EdL

EdL Auditioning

Okay folks I need some help. The Sony NC665P or the Onkyo CP500, both are progressive scan which I need for my Mits WS-55807. I also plan to use it for music. The Onkyo has 192/24 DAC's vs 96/24 for the Sony. Both are new and not in stock (wait until 9/28) or in the same show room so I can't do a head to head comparison. My primary objective is video then audio.

The Sony has a 27 MHZ/12-Bit Video D/A Converter & the Onkyo a 27/10 video converter which makes me think the Sony has a better picture. The Sony has a higher video dynamic range 103db vs 95db, as well as a higher video S/N ratio 115db vs 90db for the Onkyo.

I have a Onkyo TX-SR700, of which I am very satisfied.

2. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

personally i would go with the sony because of the advantages you listed above, not to metion the $70 price difference.

3. Asa_M

Asa_M Auditioning

hey, i would like to get some responses also ...i am looking at getting the onkyo

i never base decisions on specs because most are wrong and misleading

has anyone ab'd these?

4. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

You might want to consider throwing the panasonic cp-72 into the mix- no chroma bug.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ed, you will have to compare the Sony and Onkyo units side-by-side. The specs. on paper don't tell the whole story. Implementation is key. A 24/192 DAC means nothing when we are talking about a player that does not play DVD-Audio discs. In short, there is no 24/192 material out there that the Onkyo changer can decode. Similarly, I would not make any assumptions regarding video DACs. Also, Onkyo is known to be conservative with specs., so don't read too much into that low signal-to-noise ratio.

6. EdL

EdL Auditioning

I broke down & got the Sony. I'll be putting it through it's paces this weekend. I really wish I could do a side by side. I am giving some thought to buying the Onkyo when the store has inventory & doing an A/B comparison. My wife will think I'm crazy. I'll let you all know the weekend.

As far as the chroma bug goes, for me ignorance is bliss. If I don't know what to look for, I may never notice it.

7. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

EDL,