DVD/CD-RW has gone dead! options?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Keith_R, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Hey all, unfortunately the DVD-RW/CD-RW drive on my computer has gone dead and the PC is out of warranty.

What are my options? is this thing easy to replace by yourself? can a PC shop do the work?

thanks.

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Dead, as in comatose? [​IMG]

Sorry! I take it that there isn't any light and your eject button doesn't work? - - That could just be that the power cord came loose.

That isn't hard to do. Just unplug it, figure out how to take the side panel off, do that (touch the case to ground yourself out so that you don't send any static electricity into a part) and look for the connector with the four wires going into it. They are yellow, black, black & red. Sometimes, just bumping the case by accident will work it loose. The longer connector next to it might have worked loose too.

..and now that you are inside. If it is still dead, you should be able to see how easy they are to replace. Some people are not cut out to going into a PC, and if you are one of those, find a friend!

Glenn

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

It's very simple to replace. You can pick up a new one for under $30.

4. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

It isn't too difficult for a novice. Sometimes the toughest part is finding out how to physically get it out. The side panel should come off easily enough but you may have to remove the entire front face pannel too. Just take your time and examine closely how the case is put together.

When you go to put the new drive in the one critical piece of info you need is the jumper setting. On the back of the original drive you will find what's known as a jumper which connects a pair of pins. There will be a series of 6 or 8 pins side by side. Which pair of pins it connects is what you're looking for. They will be labled either just above them or sometimes beneath on the underside of the drive. You'll see MA (or master) SL (or slave), CS (or cable select). Set the new drive to match the old one or it won't bee seen correctly by the motherboard.

After that, reconnecting the cables is easy enough because they are keyed...I.e. can only be plugged in one way. Just be gentle when you're lining up the ribbon data cable so that you don't accidentally bend any pins.

That's about it...except, unplug the computer from AC power first. Like how I put the first step last? [​IMG]

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

The master/slave setting is probably the hardest part of switching them out, which is good news because it's not that hard. [​IMG]

My Lite-On crapped out on me so I bought a Samsung DVD-RW drive from Newegg for $38 w/free shipping.

6. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Thanks guys!

I talked to a friend who said they would help me replace this drive so I went over to BB and hooked myself up with a new one.

I picked up a Sony burner(unsure which model), that does more formats than my busted drive. The new drive will cost me $79 after a rebate.

I also got some more memory so that I can upgrade the memory when we pop the case to replace the burner next week.

Hopefully next week my computer will have a new drive and more memory. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

7. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Hopefully the memory you picked up is the correct one for your computer.

-Christian