DVD/CD Players to seperate or not?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ChrisCollins, Jun 22, 2004.

1. ChrisCollins

ChrisCollins Stunt Coordinator

I need a new DVD/CD player
    Are you using seperate DVD and CD players or just DVD or Universal players
    -Are there any advantages to using Seperates or is it a waste of $$$$
    -I was looking at NAD t572 5 disc DVD/CD
    -Pioneer 563a
    -Sony DVPNC685 5 disc
    among many others

2. ChrisCollins

I need a new DVD/CD player
    Are you using seperate DVD and CD players or just DVD or Universal players
    -Are there any advantages to using Seperates or is it a waste of $$$$
    -I was looking at NAD t572 5 disc DVD/CD
    -Pioneer 563a
    -Sony DVPNC685 5 disc
    among many others

3. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

I am currently using a philips dvd +r for both works well for both, some of teh better dvd players do a better job with audio, alot of the cheap ones do a bad job. It also comes down to individual preference,technically speaking seperates should give better performance, but a great dvd player compared to a mediocre cd player the dvd will be better, (also I doubt too many people really hear much difference on most of todays music recordings) I want to get a universal player but haveing just moved and opening a business my wife would kill me if I spent the money

4. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

I am currently using a philips dvd +r for both works well for both, some of teh better dvd players do a better job with audio, alot of the cheap ones do a bad job. It also comes down to individual preference,technically speaking seperates should give better performance, but a great dvd player compared to a mediocre cd player the dvd will be better, (also I doubt too many people really hear much difference on most of todays music recordings) I want to get a universal player but haveing just moved and opening a business my wife would kill me if I spent the money

5. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I have separate players for CD and DVD playback, but, somewhat ironically, they are both DVD players. I've posted elsewhere the long version but basically, I chose a universal player for hi-res music and movies, and intended to buy a dedicated cd player for redbook playback, because I thought it would be better sounding and I don't want to lose access to my music if a player goes down. I auditioned the Cambridge Audio 540C, which is extremely well reviewed in its price class. A couple of people had told me to check out the Cambridge Audio 540D DVD player for CD playback, as they claimed it was better than the 540C, or at least its equal. As they cost exactly the same, I did a comparison and, much to my (and the storeowner's) surprise, the 540D sounded significantly better to us. So I bought that. As a bonus, it can also play DVD-As and it can be set up as a 2.1 CD player (keeping my sub active while eliminating a layer of A/D/A).

I also compared my Cambridge to the Marantz DV6400 (my universal player) for CD playback, and found the Cambridge worth the extra purchase to me. I do engage in critical listening, though, and would not have purchased an extra player if music was only something I had on in the background, or rarely listened to on my primary system.

6. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I have separate players for CD and DVD playback, but, somewhat ironically, they are both DVD players. I've posted elsewhere the long version but basically, I chose a universal player for hi-res music and movies, and intended to buy a dedicated cd player for redbook playback, because I thought it would be better sounding and I don't want to lose access to my music if a player goes down. I auditioned the Cambridge Audio 540C, which is extremely well reviewed in its price class. A couple of people had told me to check out the Cambridge Audio 540D DVD player for CD playback, as they claimed it was better than the 540C, or at least its equal. As they cost exactly the same, I did a comparison and, much to my (and the storeowner's) surprise, the 540D sounded significantly better to us. So I bought that. As a bonus, it can also play DVD-As and it can be set up as a 2.1 CD player (keeping my sub active while eliminating a layer of A/D/A).

I also compared my Cambridge to the Marantz DV6400 (my universal player) for CD playback, and found the Cambridge worth the extra purchase to me. I do engage in critical listening, though, and would not have purchased an extra player if music was only something I had on in the background, or rarely listened to on my primary system.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  9. ChrisCollins

oh this is your forum
    my bad
    sorry for the error

10. ChrisCollins

oh this is your forum
    my bad
    sorry for the error

11. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Chris,
    I can attest to Paul's posting and agree. It was an ear opening experience. The 540D is quite a surprise for two channel CD playback.

12. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Chris,
    I can attest to Paul's posting and agree. It was an ear opening experience. The 540D is quite a surprise for two channel CD playback.

13. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    no, but you certainly treated it like it was YOURS. the mods will close one of the threads, it isnt looked kindly upon to post the same question in multiple places.

CJ

14. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    no, but you certainly treated it like it was YOURS. the mods will close one of the threads, it isnt looked kindly upon to post the same question in multiple places.

CJ

15. ChrisCollins

------
    HAHAHAHAHAHA
    you guys are great. I dont want to disturb the balance of the forum.
    I actually just didnt know which section to put the thread in.
    Thanks for the concern though