DVD-CD Burning program for computer-which one?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Tim L, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

I recently picked up a new computer (Dell XPS 400) which came with Sonic Digital Media Le. I was backing up some stuff when all of a sudden the program stopped reconizing my drive. So I installed an older version of roxio I had which worked but only allowed me to burn at 4x max. Dell says I have to upgrade my warranty to cover third pary software (for money of course) I said forget it- it didn't even come with the disc to reinstall the Sonic program. So I think I woould rather go out and by one that will work corretcly and I will have the disc incase I need to re-install.
    With so many choices ,I was wondering if anyone has any good recommendations or good experiences with any particular program, thanks
    Tim

2. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

nero burning rom is a good, easy to use, and easy to find at any major retailer or online.

3. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

I also was wondering if any such program would allow you to burn MPEGs onto a dvd then allow me to watch them on any dvd player-just curious, thanks again
    Tim

4. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

nero burning rom does it all. burn, author, and edit audio and video.

5. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

nero burning rom,Ashampoo burning studio, and cdrwin are some of the best ones.

6. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Actually if you'll call Dell and tell them that you weren't aware that they didn't include hard copies of installed software with the purchase (which you paid for when you bought the computer) and want copies of your programs and operating system in case you ever have to reload the system, they shouldn't give you any grief about sending the CD's to you.

This is a fairly new practice with Dell. They stopped sending hard copies of any software with the Dimension and Inspiron computer lines (the "consumer" line of machine) which is really a rip off since you did pay for the software when you forked over your $$ for the computer.

I just purchased 16 Dimension and Inspiron machines for my company and they didn't give me any problem about sending backup copies for all of them. Even if you wind up buying another program, you should at least get your OS disc for an emergency reload.

7. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

Dell told me I had to purchase an extra software plan to get any third party application that was loaded on my machine- they did give my the operating system and drivers and microsoft office stuff- but no media stuff at all (and it is a media oriented computer with XP media) go figure... I will try and call them again- but it takes so long to get through. I downloaded a demo of nero last night- it had no problem recognizing my drive- it seems the only software that cant see the drive is the one that came with the computer[​IMG]
    Nero has alot of stuff on it- still trying to figure out how to burn mpeg movies from my digital camera and put them on dvd so I can then play the disc on any dvd player-any suggestions?
    I will look into the other programs mentioned. Thanks again for the response
    Tim

8. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Burning mpg to DVD for viewing on a "normal" DVD player takes a fairly long rendering process, but most any burning suite can take care of it. Nero Ultra is probably one of the most complete programs out there.

Just keep in mind that mpg to DVD is a time consuming process, even with a new PC since the format of the video has to be completely changed.

If you're not wanting to share the videos, but just have them for watching at home, you can get DVD players that will play mpg files burned directly to a data disc. It's a heck of a lot faster on the burn since it works like an MP3 disc...the player can read and decode mpg (and most other video formats).

Just an idea.

9. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

you have to use the nero vision express portion of nero burning rom to turn you mpegs into movies. it is really easy and the programs walks you from a to z.

10. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

well I'm liking nero so far-I was able to burn some mpegs and watchthem on my dvd player-pretty cool-I'm not sure I used the vision express section of ner (couldn't quite locate that yet) I just went through the main menu icon "make your own dvd video". The one thing I don't like is that it changed all my icons of mpegs and mp3s and stuff to nero icons- so everything automatically opens in nero now not media player etc. Hope there is an easy way to change that.

11. Greg Bright

Greg Bright Second Unit

Gregory Bright
    It's criminal how multi-media programs just assume that you want them to be the default program for everything. Without giving you a choice. It's not too difficult to go back to your original settings. Changing the icons is a little trickier.

12. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

I've been goingin and manually changing the properities of each file- anyone have an easier suggestion so everything doesn't automatically open in nero. I was looking around to find some more info on some burning software- came across some sights that absolutley hate nero 7-makes me kiind of leary (even though so far so good on my system)-here's one example:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Nero_7_Ultra...2.html?tag=nav
    just incase anyone was interested.

13. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Tim, if you want another program to open say an mp3 file, you can:

Find an mp3 file on your computer
    Right click the file
    On the menu go to "open with" and then select "choose program"
    Make sure you click the "always use this program to open this file" box
    Whichever one you choose will be the default program to open all files of that type.

To change the icon, go to your control panel
    Go to Tools, then "folder options"
    Select the file types tab
    Find the registered file type for the icon you want to change
    Click the advanced button
    Then click change icon and choose your icon.
    You may not have many choices in the intitial window to choose from, but you can browse to whichever program you want and use an icon from that program. You'll need to fish around for the one you want.

14. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

Are they opening in Nero media player? Try opening Nero Media player and click the settings button, select "File Types", and then click the "Select None" button to deselect all of the file types.

15. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

Hey guys thanks for the help on theicon thing- one thing though (stupid me) when I open nero I can't seem to locate the "Settings button" ..is it hidden? I finally got thru to dell support- they are going to send me out the cds for the sonic digital media Le programs- tried to fix it in the registry and it still didn't work- so a clean install may do the trick.
    Tim

16. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

umm no clean install necessary. just go into windows media player options and select that program for your default for the files types you choose. this should easily solve your problem.

in my system i only use nero for burning and occasional quick video editing. i actually use adobe premier for video editing. i use wmp for audio files and non mpeg video and intervideo windvd for dvd video.

in order to have everything open correctly i had to set the defaults in each program. i also make sure that when i install new programs i DO NOT select the option that makes that new program a default FOR ANYTHING.

just be careful and watch for details next time.

17. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

thanks for the tips onthis, really appreciate it- the clean install will be for the Sonic programs that came shipped with the computer (not the nero-still using the demo on that)-At lleast I will have the option of loading sonic if I choose to in the future
    Tim