DVD Cataloging Software

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Hutchison, Aug 24, 2001.

1. Robert Hutchison

I'm looking for a good software package for cataloging my DVD and Laserdisc collection. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Are there some good programs on the market or should I just us MS Access to create my own?

2. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Movie Collector is another one, if you want to throw LDs into the mix. www.collectorz.com I use their Music software for my CD collection
    I still think DVD Profiler is the best for DVD collections, tho.
    Jason
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

3. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

4. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Unless you're a Mac user, in which case, you're screwed.
    Funny, I'd have guessed most HT afficionados would be Mac users. Something about the best design and technology innovation seems to go hand and hand with HT perfectionism!

5. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

I use dvdtracker.com mainly because it's fully webbased.
    And how can you mention 'Mac' and 'best design and technology innovation' in the same sentence?
    Don't answer that. It'll start a flame war. Feel free to mail me direct to argue, tho. :)

6. Robert Hutchison

Thanks for the info on DVD Profiler and Video Collector. Has anyone seen or tried a program called DVD Register? If so any feedback would be appreciated.

7. Ugo Scarlata

Ugo Scarlata Stunt Coordinator

[shameless plug]
    If you don't mind dumping that evil M$ Access and going the open source way, I wrote a little PHP/MySQL script to do just that... (see signature)
    It can be customized to track anything, of course... Some people are even using it to track those things called 'books'! [​IMG]
    [/shameless plug]
    Cheers,
    -Ugo
    -----------------
    [ http://ugo.scarlata.it/?pid=about&cid=3
    [Edited last by Ugo Scarlata on August 28, 2001 at 12:01 AM]

8. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

One of the best things about DVD Profiler is that you can use a Cue-Cat with it to make cataloging easy. I swiped my collection back when I had about 180 or so in just a couple of hours, that's including the setup time and figuring out how to use the Cue-Cat. They got a lot of info on their site about the Cue-Cat, and all you got to do is go to Radio Shack and ask for it.

9. James Reyes

James Reyes Stunt Coordinator

I just use MS Excel to inventory all my media.

10. Ugo Scarlata

11. Tom Boucher

Tom Boucher Second Unit

I'd love to get the evil empire off my machines, but DVD Profiler is one of my core applications that I can't be without. The main reason I'd love to get it off is that I could put an IBM Networkstation runing an X session in my theater room instead of the big (by comparison) Athlon 1Ghz machine up there.
    I like the cover scans and other features it offers.
    Tom
    ------------------

12. Mike Breslin

Mike Breslin Auditioning

Robert,
    I have used DVD Register for several years ( it used to be called Laser Disk Register). It catalogues and contains a data base on both LD and DVDs. Updates can be downloaded every 2 to 3 weeks. With 4500 titles on LD and DVD I would not be able to keep track without it.
    Mike
    ------------------

13. Ugo Scarlata

14. Graham Dean

Graham Dean Auditioning

Here's another option:
    http://www.readerware.com/rwVW.html
    That's the video version. There's also the audio & book version. It's pretty slick, and the drag & drop feature is really handy. I used it to catalogue my book collection, but wound up writing my own interface for the data (special demands of a graduate student). But if I felt the need to catalogue by audio & video, I'd probably go with this one.

15. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

I was using MS Excel then saw this thread and tried DVD Profiler. Highly recommended.

16. Patrick Larkin

17. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    M$ doesn't invent anything, they just buy up other companies and slap their name on it. A perfect example is the whole XBox issue - they bought companies like Bungie (a pro-Mac developer mind you) and claimed Halo as their own.
    By the way, where do you think Windows was stolen from? [​IMG]
    Anyone who thinks that Apple doesn't innovate is clearly a product of the Bill Gates "Be A Lemming" course.
    To add to Patrick's list: Ethernet network adopter, speech recognition, Laserprinters, first desktop platform to use OpenGL, you gotta love the way the side of a G4 opens up, TrueType fonts, color computer before IBM, everyone thinks a 1.4 GHz P4 is faster than an 867 MHz G4...think again. The Wintel platform just has a bigger install base.
    Mike
    ------------------
    Listen to my radio station - Starman's Neverland
    [Edited last by Mike_G on August 28, 2001 at 03:25 PM]

18. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Just as a note, being first doesn't mean you're better. History has shown that.
    Even tho I have no great love of Microsoft, I like the flexibility of PC hardware, something Apple doesn't allow much for.

19. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

Shoot Jason! You beat me to it. It's interesting to note that Xerox created the GUI, Ethernet, and Object Oriented programming and never made a dime off of any of them!
    You just have to wonder about the guy that said, yeah lets let Steve Jobs see what we created here!! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Adrian Jones

20. Patrick Larkin

Notice my post reads "first major OS with a GUI."
    Xerox invented it (and the mouse) but Apple refined it and brought it to the masses.
    My original post was just wondering why HT and technology pundits wouldn't just eat up the cool features and ulltra sleek case design of Apple over boring old PCs...