What's new

DVD Cataloging Software for Mac? (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I've tried Readerware, and I'm not impressed. I don't think the features or interface comapare with DVD Profiler.
Matt,

You keep posting this, but you don't explain why. I'll re-print my question from an earlier thread, which never got answered:

Can someone run through what the differences are? I'm not at all a PC user, so I have never played with Profiler.

The main complaint about ReaderWare (which I agreed with before Jaguar) is that it is written in Java and Java is slow. The thing is though, a lot of that has to do with the quality of Apple's JVM, and under Jaguar it has gotten a lot better. Also, I can't imagine that running Profiler under VPC is going to be faster or nicer in terms of user interface.

The main advantage of ReaderWare over Profiler is that it will do books and CDs as well, which for me is vitally important. I realize that many of you may not care about that.

Ted

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
From the Intervocative website(check it out!):
You keep posting this, but you don't explain why
Because I don't like it.
Here's why:
  • The interface wasn't as intuitive as DVD Profiler's (more than just a speed issue). It was nicer to use. Really!
  • It's easier for me to add a DVD in DVD Profiler than in Readerware.
  • DVD Profiler is easier to navigate (for me).
  • There are more movie-specific items displayed in DVD Profiler at a glance.
  • The organization of DVD Profiler is built especially for DVD's while Readerware seems too generic.
  • DVD Profiler makes better reports than Readerware.
So I tried both and this is what I've found to be the case for me. I like DVD Profiler better. I haven't tried Readerware under Jaguar, and probably won't, but I don't have problems with DVD Profiler (via VPC) being too slow. And I'm not a patient person.
I've said I don't like Readerware something like 2 or 3 times in the past year... so, yeah, I do keep posting this. I just think DVD Profiler is a far better product. I hope I've explained why. YMMV. :)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
From the Intervocative website(check it out!):
Indeed, not from the Borland website, where they have dropped this ancient piece of text from their Delphi FAQ. Note no mention of Windows XP -- this statement is at least two years old. Borland is NEVER going to port Delphi to Mac OS X, because Delphi is a practically dead product: very few developers still use it. JBuilder for instance, most certainly does support OS X.

It would be absurd for me to argue over the relative merits of something I've never tried, but I will just defend ReaderWare -- I don't see how adding DVDs is anything less than easy in ReaderWare: You just scan in as many barcodes as you have and then click the Next button. Everything else gets done for you.

Ted

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Ted - do you know where Readerware gets their DVD data? i believe DVD Profiler uses some sort of collaborative database where users make initial entries.
On a side note, I attempted to re-evaluate RW but the demo version is apparently permanently disabled because my 30 day demo of an older version expired 7 months ago. Any attempt to install the new version fails...
My initial impression back then was that RW had a Windows like appearance - various shades of gray with gray buttons and a really bad logo. But, if it has good internet connectivity, I'm willing to get past the circa-1994 interface. :)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Ted - do you know where Readerware gets their DVD data? i believe DVD Profiler uses some sort of collaborative database where users make initial entries.
ReaderWareVW (The DVD flavor) gets it's data from the following:
Tower Records,Amazon,Barnes & Noble,Borders,AlphaCraze,Half.comSam Goody,Suncoast,On Cue,Media Play,Abby Road,Barpoint,Tower Records [UK],Amazon [UK]
That way, you don't have to wait for some user to enter stuff -- the e-tailers will do it for you, complete with cover scans, the whole nine yards. You can also update any missing fields at any time by having it rescan the above sites. Of course you can also enter anything you want manually, but I practically never do.
In addition, if you don't have a barcode you can simply drag in the URL from the IMDB (into the little circle thing on the upper right hand corner) and ReaderWare will automatically download all the info.
Yeah, the user interface is a little clunky, but it's getting better -- or I just got used to it. :)
Ted

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
Craig - one possibility would be to run Connectix's Virtual PC on your Mac. Then you could continue to use DVD Profiler and their database.

-greg
That's exactly what I do and it works great. A friend I have is working on a mac-version of DVD Profiler, not the program per se but one that would do the same.

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the input, folks! For the time being, when I do get my G4, I'll download Splitcube's DVD Shelf and try it out. If I find it doesn't do the job, Readerware is next on my list. I wish I had gotten the USB cuecat when they were free, instead of the useless PS/2 version. Hopefully, if neither program satisfies, Frank's friend will have released DVD Profiler/Mac.

Thanks again,

CS

P.S. As I am just now getting into the new platform, and this is one of my most respected forums, I would appreciate whatever advice you can give me as to a book I should get on learning everything I can about Apples. I like the user-friendlyness of the ...For Dummies series, but I'm a near-advanced level PC user, and want something that can translate my experience on that end to the Apple world. Suggestions, Maccies?

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I'm trying to get my programmer to build something similar for Filemaker. he says all that's needed is a plug-in.
anyhoo, as I suggested before, active forums are the best way to learn, and HTF should have a Mac forum.
smiles.:emoji_thumbsup:
about to order a 1ghz Powerbook.:D

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I wish I had gotten the USB cuecat when they were free, instead of the useless PS/2 version.
If you do end up getting the ReaderWare software, these days they will give you a free :cue:cat.
Speaking of Mac forums, does anyone have a suggestion for the best one -- I just got an iPod(20gb) for my B-day and want to know how to load uncompressed tracks directly from a CD (I don't wish to MP3 my classical music).
Ted

Pascal A

Second Unit
Speaking of Mac forums, does anyone have a suggestion for the best one
I haven't joined, but I was tracking the Powerbook rumors closely for a month, and the MacNN Forum ended up being the most accurate.
By the way, Chris, I ordered the 1GHz w/combo drive (no patience :frowning:) on the day of release (11/6) and received it in 8 calendar days using their free shipping option. You won't be disappointed. :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Ted - haven't tried it but try this:

* In iTunes, go to Preferences and select Importing
* Select "Import Using AIFF Encoder"
* Close Prefs and insert your CD
* Click Import

Just switch it back to mp3 when you are done with your classical CDs.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I like staying on 1 site, grin.

I was going to tell Ted about prefs. I have the 5Gb and 20GB iPods - battery power is useless as I always skip tracks (on permanent random).

ps. anyone know how to trash interrupted (partial) download files - keeps giving the "in use, wait till task is complete" message, which is bullshit (OS X)?

LCIII (sold)
LC475 (sold)
8500 (dust leave)
PB300 (kiosk)
Cube 450 (terminal)
iBook 500 (email)
5GB iPod (backup drive)
iMac 800 (server)
20GB iPod (travel device)

when PB1G arrives, iBook will become 2nd kiosk.
also ordered an RP82, TH-50HDP5 from Panasonic, and matching steel furniture from Boltz.

guess I'm treating myself for my 30th, (and 3rd for IMDVD).

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
* In iTunes, go to Preferences and select Importing
* Select "Import Using AIFF Encoder"
* Close Prefs and insert your CD
* Click Import
Thanks, Patrick!

The good news -- it does work.

The bad news: iTunes still insists on copying the files to the Mac's HD (which takes a long time) and only then can you move them to the iPod -- there does not appear to be a way of copying directly from CD to iPod.

Ted

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
hmmm,

rip to iPod...try Versiontracker to search for iPod utilities...some crazy stuff there, but unlikely.

iTunes IS a hard drive concept.

long time - what speed are you getting? average should be 4x. ripping in AIFF should be faster than MP3 (4-8x), as there is no compression at work.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
long time - what speed are you getting? average should be 4x. ripping in AIFF should be faster than MP3 (4-8x), as there is no compression at work.
I was getting 3 to 4x, no faster than MP3 ripping. I have B&W G3, 350Mhz with a stock DVD drive. I really haven't compared it to how fast it takes to just copy them to the Mac HD from a CD -- maybe that is where the bottleneck is...

Ted

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
hmmm,

I normally just start the rip/copy and walk away - too many things to do.

if anything, it's faster when not multi-tasking.

my slowest Mac is a 450mhz, so can't comment. hard drive speed is also a factor etc etc.

anyone else using Jaguar have problems with auto-login on restart (I hate retyping passwords)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks