What's new

DVD Cataloging Software for Mac? (1 Viewer)

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
I've been searching the forums, but haven't found anything rock solid.

A current PC user with DVD Profiler, I'm thinking about making "the switch" to Apple. I've pretty much picked out a nice dual-867 mHz G4 and will be getting it before year end. All the details seem to be worked out, except for the DVD Profiler issue. Is there any database software that provides the equivalent features for the Macintosh platform, esp. OS X? I understand that DVD Aficionado is strictly web-based, and if I have to switch my 220+ dvds to that, fine... how?

Hoping I can port my profiler files over to some Mac equivalent. SURELY there must be some diehard Mac users in this (and that other) forum. Do let me know.

Back on my meds,

CS

P.S. Let's not bother with the PC vs. Mac debate. I've done the reading. Made up my mind, and all that. Cheers.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I'm interested as well, particularly as I'll be upgrading from my trusty G3 all-in-one to one of those "desk-lamp" imacs in the near future.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Craig - one possibility would be to run Connectix's Virtual PC on your Mac. Then you could continue to use DVD Profiler and their database.

-greg

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I've also been searching for a good program and have yet to come across one. As a substitute, I just have an Excel database set up with all my information. It doesn't have pictures or anything, but it works for my basic purposes.

By the way, congratulations on the switch.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
DVD Aficionado has an import feature. List your titles and use the quick import option. Never tried it.
Some have recommended Readerware. It seems to work. I believe its Java-based and on OS X.
There's DVD Shelf for OS X. Its a nice database - no online component. Seems if you are good at Filemaker, you could create a similar database more customized to your liking.
Seems there's a couple others out there according to versiontracker.com.
I haven't found anything great yet so thats why I use the web based DVD Aficionado.
I can't say enough about Filemaker, however. I created an excellent database - got about 75% of the way done - and it got pushed to the back burner...
You'll love OS X - especially if you are into media creation or unix stuff. :) What a perfect blend.

David Hill

Agent
Hi,

I tried installing VPC just for that reason, but it never worked. Always crashed as soon as DVDProfiler looked up anything on the net. So had to give up, and went back to a simple Excel sheet.

Regards,

David

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
The Java based one gives slow a new meaning and was very confusing to me.

At the moment DVD Profiler is still running on my old AMD based computer, but I use my Powerboog for web surfing/email and everything else.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I've got no problems with Virtual PC running on my Mac, which is running OS X Jaguar (the mac itself is a 667mhz Powerbook G4). Virtual PC is only installed so I can use DVD Profiler. I haven't found a decent Mac dvd cataloging program.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I am a ReaderWare user under Mac OS X and I absolutely love it -- it not only catalogs DVD, but CDs and books as well. I would certainly recommend trying ReaderWare first before getting VPC just to run DVD Profiler...

Ted

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I use Filemaker. It does require a bit of work to set up initially, but after that is easy to use and customize.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
David,
I've tried Windows 98, Windows 2000 and Windows XP all running under Virtual PC. Windows 2000 performs the best, so it's the one I use. I've got almost 400 DVDs in DVDProfiler, so it can be a bit pokey at times, but otherwise, works great. Now that VirtualPC has support for DVDs, you can even recognize DVDs by their disc id. And I'm able to "pass through" my USB scanner, so that I can scan covers into DVD Profiler too. All in all, works great.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
switch it on baby!

I use Filemaker as well.

anyone know how to speed up V6 on Jaguar?

I can post a screenshot if someone tells me how, lol.

Rick Blaine

Stunt Coordinator
Another vote for filemaker. I've been using it to catalog DVDs, Laserdiscs, CD and most of my life for the last 10 years.
Easy to learn database program and not really very time consuming to set up, unless you want to get fancy.

WM

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The advantage of something like ReaderWare over Filemaker is that you can simply read in the Barcodes using a :Cue:Cat or some other Barcode reader, and it will automatically look up your DVDs, Laserdisks, CDs, Books etc. at a plethora of Web sites. ReaderWare will then download cover photos, cast and crew lists, track lists, etc. combining the information from different web sites as necessary.

If you have a large collection, like I do, loading this stuff manually into Filemaker would be a nightmare. ReaderWare also has the handy ability to export data in various formats (including HTML) as well as a feature keeping track of lending and returns.

I imagine that Filemaker is programmable, but I seriously doubt it could be made to do even a fraction of what ReaderWare does...

Ted

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Ted,

Thanks for your recommendation - my order is in. ReaderWare is currently offering a CueCat reader with their bundle, so this looks like a sweet deal. I'm hoping for the best.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I don't know if anyone is interested, but I've been writing something in Java to catalogue my library. There is no web-based component, but if enough people were interested, I would consider writing a utility to import profiler cvs exports into the program, and even a possible export/import utility for the file format that the titles are stored in for further entries.
If anyone's interested in what I have so far, let me know and I will send it to you. It's very small. You will need to have the latest Java runtime environment installed on your platform to run it. Mac OS X ships with it installed I believe.
**UPDATE**
Here's a link to some screen caps:
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2f92e/
I know it's rough looking but it's a work in progress.

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
I checked out Splitcubes product. Not bad, just a standa lone filemaker product. Pretty interesting but I can't figure out how to add a movie and see how that process goes.

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
I've tried Readerware, and I'm not impressed. I don't think the features or interface comapare with DVD Profiler.

One thing we all should do is e-mail Intervocative, the makers of DVD Profiler, and ask them for a Mac OS X version of DVD Profiler. I'd buy it just so I wouldn't have to boot up my Virtual PC.

Congratulations on your switch, Craig!

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks