What's new

DVD Buzz or Whine (1 Viewer)

Bob U

Stunt Coordinator
Hi folks,

My Toshiba DVD buzzes through my speakers when the transport is moving. The level of the buzz is constant and does not change with preamp volume changes. It stops when the disc is paused or stops.

Best I can describe it is upper mid-pitched. Almost sounds like a switching power supply or other digital noise.

I am using the digital out of the Toshiba into the digital in of my pre/proc.

It does not do it on CD's with the analog outputs.I don;t think this is any kind of ground loop. Frequency is much too high and it stops when the disc stops.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-=Bob=-

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
I would try:

1) Switching the digital connection from optical to coaxial or vice versa, if the player and the receiver both have both.

2) Switching cables, to rule out a cable problem.

3) Borrowing another player, to see if it is the player.

4) Borrowing another receiver, to see if it is the receiver.

Bob U

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Marc.

I really doubt it is a cable, but I should check. Unfortunately, I don't have a toslink, so can only switch the coax cable.

I have ascertained it is only on the digital outs of the DVD player. The analog outs are clean. I do have an RDAT dig out to pre/proc which is clean, so I can *almost* eliminate the pre/proc. Unfortuantely, I have no access to another or another DVD player.

What I have been using to test this is the Long Ago and Far Away scroll at the beginning of The Phantom Menace as the audio is silent there and it can easily be heard in my speakers. Its not loud, but very present and anoying.

If anyone would test this section for me and let me know if you hear any "digi" noise during this brief section, I would appreciate it. Particulalry if you have a Toshiba DVD player.

-=Bob=-

PeteD

Stunt Coordinator
Do you get the noise if you hit pause on a DVD? Try and listen to a CD through the digital out see if maybe it's format dependant.

Bob U

Stunt Coordinator
Just tried Toslink and it is the same.

No, at pause it is quiet but I *think* the Toshiba DVD player mutes the outputs on pause. This also makes me sure it is not a ground loop.

Good idea on CD on the digital out. I'm off to try that right now....

I'm back. Its there on CD on Digi out as well. But I'm afraid I am a bit mistaken from yesterday. It IS volume dependent. And very noticable on manually switching chapters as it seem to stand out clearly there just before it mutes.

At this point, I'm fairly convinced it is generated by the Tosh and I will have to live with it until my next upgrade.

-=Bob=-

PeteD

Stunt Coordinator
Edited... Reread your post throwing my theory out the window. If it does disengage the audio when paused, does your reciever revert back to Prologic?

Bob U

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Pete,

Just got an email with your last post before editing suggesting that it is the receiver, not the DVD player as it does it with Toslink as well as coax. This makes a certain amount of sense to me.

I have only two devices that have digi outs - the DVD and an RDAT. It does not do it with RDAT which is the only thing that discredits that idea. But still, the RDAT is only two channel and is set differently at the pre/proc.

When the DVD is paused, the pre/proc does not switch its settings in any way.

I'm going t email Parasound and see if they have ever heard of a problem like this.

-=Bob=-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks