DVD Burners...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Darren Lewis, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

My dad wants to buy a DVD burner to record home video onto. He has a Sony miniDV camcorder and has transferred the footage to his PC using Adobe Premier via a firewire card.

He now wants to put that footage onto DVD so he can watch it on his DVD Player (Sony). He's created some videoCDs but the problem is that the footage length has to be short to fit on the CD.

We were in PC World having a look at internal DVD burners, but there seems to be a lot of conflicting advice about the standards. The sales guy said most machines that come with DVD burners have DVD- but Sony and Philips are supporting DVD+

What should he get? He has an Ultra-160 SCSI system but can use IDE too.

Thanks.

2. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

You don't have to choose. Sony's DRU-500 series burners will burn both DVD-R and DVD+R.

3. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Also, get a drive from an actual maker of drives like Sony or Pioneer, as the firmware support from companies that just use OEM drives can be lacking, and with DVD burners - no matter which format - it's important to have good firmware support, as it contains the burn strategy for the media (strength of laser etc.).

Regular updates means better support for new media coming out, which results in better burns.

-Christian

4. Darren Lewis

Thanks for the replies. The only problem with the drives that are both + and - is that they are more expensive than the single spec drives.

What format can ordinary DVD players use to playback discs?

I'm not sure about these different formats!

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

6. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott

7. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Darren, you'll also find '-R' media is considerably cheaper over here, with x4 Datawrite discs (consitantly reliable) going for as little as 79p online.

8. Reece

Reece Stunt Coordinator

Rob....Where have you found 4x media for .79 a piece? Do you think these are better than the Ritek Go3s?

9. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

I have been looking at this for quite sometime, for a while, I was sure that I am going to a multi format, but now, I am not so sure. Does not mean I won't, it's just I am having serious second thoughts.
    For my purpose, I am not burning a ton of DVDs and not passing them out to friends and relatives, so I am not sure having both + and - is all that relevant. Having two format assures not obsolete is another argument, but considering all these $40 standalone DVD players that plays practically everything, I am not really overly concerned about one particular format winning over the other, at least in the short term, say, the next couple of years. Finally, there's the price differential, TigerDirect.com's selling brand new IOmega DVD+ writers for $139.99 plus shipping. That's less than half the cost a multiformat (the reputable ones anyway), so if the worst case happens, in a couple of years, I can just write the DVD+ writer off, buy a DVD- only (or whatever the future winner is), and I am still $$$ wise ahead of the game (even RIGHT NOW, one can buy one DVD- and one DVD+ burner and be cheaper than a single DVD+-). No??

10. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Reece, £0.79, not $0.79.

I've not tried any Ritek x4 discs. I've used a lot of their x2 and they've been great. The Datawrite x4 comes in two versions - a red face with Princo dye and another one with Ritek. The red version is the one that we can get for £0.79 here and they're terrific discs.

11. JohnMM

JohnMM Stunt Coordinator

If your father wants to play the dvd's in a standalone dvd player, check to see which format is supported by the dvd player (- or +), and go from there.

12. Robert McDonald

Robert McDonald Stunt Coordinator

I think all decent players will play either +R or -R; I burned a soccer highlight dvd for my son's soccer team on my PC in +R and no one on the team had a problem with their dvd player being able to read it (even those with players costing less than US $100). My Panasonic RP82 can read it with no problem, although they say they won't read +R (especially since they are in the -R camp). In the US the cost of the media for -R and +R is basically the same.

Here are a few websites which might be helpful:
    DVDplusR (unofficial +R website so this one is biased towards +R)

DVDRHELP

DVD-Recordable

13. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

14. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

If you actually do a tally of the statistics at www.dvdrhelp.com on players, you'll find that "-R" compatability with set-top units is much better than "+R". In their FAQ they state something like 89% for - and 83% for + but the numbers are more like 89% for - and 65% for + if you atually go through the individual player compatability reports.

I am using an OEM Panasonic -R/-RW/-RAM drive that I got from AVLogic. It was only $142 and works great. The kicker is that for data backup, -RAM is absolutely the best thing ever. It's like having a 4.3Gig floppy drive. Awesome. That only comes with the basic DVD-RAM driver though, no software for writing DVD-R/Ws....

so...

I am also using an OEM version of Nero Express that I got from Software Outlets for $8 (now $9). The combination works great for writing DVD -R, -RW, and -RAM.

For authoring DVD-Video I use Pinnacle Studio8 which is the buggiest most frustrating software I've ever used. It's often excruciating, often frustrating. However, the results are fantastic, the MPEG rendering engine is very high quality.

15. Darren Lewis

Would there be any problem buying an OEM drive rather than a retail box? I'm thinking about firmware upgrades etc.

We've found a Sony DWU-10AX at £152.69 (OEM version of the DRU-510A, I think).

The retail price of the DRU-510A is £269.07

16. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

The firmware upgrades for the DRU wont work in the OEM drives.

17. Darren Lewis

18. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Pioneer A06 (106) also supports both formats. It's a nice drive. Costco has a dual format Cedyne based on it, right now, for $179.

19. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>Pioneer A06 (106) also supports both formats. It's a nice drive. Costco has a dual format Cedyne based on it, right now, for $179.

20. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    There was just a blurb in the German computer mag I read that there was a way to make the Sony OEM drives accept the DRU firmware. They mentioned it due to a support situation that wasn't met by Sony with a really strange policy of theirs. I can look it up and tell people if they PM me.

-Christian