What's new

DVD burner ??? (1 Viewer)

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
I am looking for a DVD Burner. I saw a Lite On 4X burner for $99 at Circuit City. Is this a good burner? What brands shold I look at? Price is important. I prefer a internal IDE drive.

I'm not looking for the fastest burn times, just a good quality, trouble free burner.

My PC is a Dell Dimension 4600. Pent.4/2.8gh. 256mb of RAM. Video card is NVIDEA GForce MX 440 with AGP8X.

Thanks

Earle

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
I got the Pioneer A06 from newegg.com. I like it a whole lot and it's going for $121 right now, but you might want to read this thread here about dual layer burners that are on their way to being released. before forking money for a burner now.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The Liteon 411S burner is good if you update the firmware to at least FSOF (there's a newer update FSOH as well). You need to go here to download the firmware.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Lite-On makes good stuff & $99 for that model is a good price. Being dual format is nice too.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I have a Pioneer A06 also (internal but in an external 2.0 enclosure) and I just bought the Plextar 8X 708A at Best Buy this week ($189 after rebate). No problem so far.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I have a Pioneer 105 in my Mac. It's the earlier version of the 106. The pioneer drives have different model numbers, depending wether they're OEM or not. The A0 line is the retail line, and comes with software. The 10 line does not come with software, but I didn't need it on my Mac. It's never made a bad disc.

AdrianC

Auditioning
If you can find one inexpensively, get a Plextor. MY father is still using a 6X CD-ROM I got for one of my PCs back around 1994(?). Not a glitch, hickup or problem in 10 years. I've had similar reliability with the 3-4 Plextor drives I've purchased since.

Gordon Moore

Second Unit

I wouldn't get your hopes up too high just yet...it's just DVD+R I believe ...and as with everything new the cost will probably be really high...Blue Laser isn't dead so get an 8x burner for now and see how dual layer pans out.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
If you don't really need a burner right now, you can wait 6 months to see how the dual-layer burners shape up, like Gordon said.

I have the Sony 500-something DVD burner...works well, and I've had it for about 9 months. I placed it in an external firewire/USB2 enclosure too.

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
I think Im going to go with the Lite On drive at CC. Ill let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.

Earle

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Just snagged myself an LG 4X multi-format burner at Future Shop the other day for $130 (CDN) after rebates. So far, so good-of the two DVD players I've tested with +RW and -RW, the Panasonic is 2 for 2, and the JVC is 0 for 2. We'll see how the Apex and Xbox fare this weekend...

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Can someone explain to me the difference between -R,+R? A link to a clear explanation would be great.

Earle

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks