DVD Burner recommendations?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by D. Scott MacDonald, Apr 19, 2004.

1. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

I did a search but didn't come up with anything. I currently own a IOMagic DVD 8X +-RW DVD burner, but I find it to be such an unreliable POS that I'm ready to cut my losses and buy something better. I will read all of the internet reviews, but experience shows that reading the reviews alone doesn't always give the complete picture.

What are you guys using and how do you like it? For me, the only real important features are compatibility and reliability. Speed and price are secondary. For example, my IOMagic DVD burner is so unreliable that I figure I need to burn about 5 discs for every one that works. Even if the disc loads in the player, I need to skip through the entire disc to ensure that the video doesn't break up at any point.

Some more info: I've been using Memorex 4X DVDs (I have never successfully gotten any other brand to work at all), I have a 3 GHz P4 (but I had the same problem with my old 800 MHz P3), and I do most of my burning using Pinnacle Studio (both 8 and 9 had the problem). I also disable my antivirus software before doing any burns.

What combination of discs and burners seem to be working best for everybody?

2. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    I bought a NEC 1300a +/- burner off Ebay and it works flawlessly. I never shut down virus protection etc. Still works great.

I burn all kinds of disc brands..Memorex, Imitation, and the true bargain disc that works great: Compusa brand.

I use it to backup my DVD's so my 2 year old won't trash my collection of Disney stuff.

3. Bejoy

Bejoy Stunt Coordinator

Plextor, never had any problems with their drives. I currently use 708, but I think it is going to be replaced soon with 12X.

For burning, I use DVD Decryptor(ISO) or Nero. Not a single coster until now.

Bejoy

4. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

NEC ND-2500A

www.cdfreaks.com review

The review is almost too comprehensive.

I have an iMac...if this were completely compatible with the iLife suite of apps, I'd buy it. As it is, I'm looking at the Pioneer DVR-107D.

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

SONY makes a solid burner. My IT dept. did some research before buying the one we have here at work, then I bought one for home. Haven't had any problems yet. Great quality. [​IMG]

My model is unavailable (Sony DRU-510UL), but here's the next generation:
    SONY DRX-530UL
    It does DVD+RW/+R and DVD-RW/R media and standard CD-R/RW

6. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i have a lot of sony stuff, but the last piece of sony hardware i will ever own is the sony dvd burner/paperweight i have. maybe it was because it was one of the earlier universal machines. of course i'm not saying all sony products are crap, a lot of people prob had good experiences, but mine was a total POS. burned less than 50 discs with it before it refused to read anything. i bought myself a NEC-1300a and 75 discs later, it is still purring along.

CJ

7. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I own three:

A Pioneer A07
    A NEC 8X Burner
    a Plextor 8X Burner

By far, the Plextor is my favorite drive. Quiet, fast, and works with all media I've ever tried.

The NEC is not as picky as the pioneer, but burn times are slower.

The Pioneer doesn't burn as fast as the Plextor, it images quickly, and is faster then the NEC. But it's super picky on the media I offer it.

8. D. Scott MacDonald

Hey guys, thanks so far for the suggestions. I will probably buy a new burner tonight. I still have research to do, but so far it looks like the Plextor is winning, with the NEC close behind.

9. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Did you try some quality media (like Ritek?). I know you mentioned you tried several different types, but a lot of media is iffy or junk. Memorex are sometimes very iffy - depending on which manufacturer you got. A few people at my work couldn't play discs burned on Memorex media - I gave them a couple of Riteks and they had no problems ....

Generally from feedback I hear on DVDrhelp is that a lot of DVD burning problems are media-related.

(Satisfied with my Pioneer A06 here)

10. Ernesto.Morin

Ernesto.Morin Stunt Coordinator

Let me throw another one at you, Lite-On.

newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-106-933&depa=1

11. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

My A06 I used to have (I gave to my father when I picked up the A07) was never as finicky as the A07.

I use primarily Ritek White Printables, as I then print onto them via my DVD/CD Printer (no labels here!)

Issue is that while it works fine with the Ritek, Princo printables, which I still have a couple hundred of, which worked fine in the A06, do not work so well in the A07.. it burns, and then can't close the session.

(note: while some of these are video, I burn a mass majority of ISO DVD / PC Format, not video)

12. Jonathan Carter

Jonathan Carter Supporting Actor

I second the lite-on. I've had 2 of their cd burners and now their 4x DVD+/-R burner and it's also great. It is a quality product that isn't overpriced like the Plextors. They have always burned anything I've thrown at them on CD or DVD even when burning onto cheaper media.

13. D. Scott MacDonald

Thanks for the continuing recomendations. Where do you buy quality media? I usually just buy whatever I can find at CompUSA or Best Buy.

14. Jonathan Carter

That should be fine, I like TDK and Memorex + and - R discs, whichever are on sale. I usually don't buy any other brabds but those 2.

15. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

NewEgg has a good price on a 50-pk of Ritek (of course, Newegg is pretty much the best vendor-of-choice for computer stuff period). Meritline used to be OK, but I've heard some tales about them selling sub-par grade Riteks, so I'm not sure on them anymore.

As always, you never know what kind of media you can get from one "brand name" - Memorex, for example, has 3 different types of media they sell as 4x DVD-Rs, all varying in quality from good to terrible.

16. Jonathan Carter

Love the sig DaveGTP, I remember loving that trilogy years ago, I've probably reread that more than the LOTR trilogy.