DVD Burner Problem

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Adam Sanchez, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez Supporting Actor

Been having a problem with my DVD Burner the last day or so and I thought I would post my problem here in hopes of finding a solution.

I have a Plextor PX-712A burner. I have been using it alot lately to burn DVDs, about 3-4 a day for the last few days. All of a sudden as of yesterday, the burn speed has dropped considerably. I use to burn DVDs at 12x... and now it barely tops out at 2.6. I have tried burning with different media, different burning programs, I reinstalled my Drive's firmware, even uninstalled the drive and reinstalled it. I also reinstalled my software but nothing has helped.

Tonight I tried to burn a CD "just to see" and even they are burning slower. I set it to 48x and it barely made it to 20x. The media I am using is the same I had been using all week when it had been burning full speed.

What could be my problem?

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Cabling could be an issue, or check and see if DMA somehow got disabled for the burner drive, or use a different power connector to power the drive.

3. Adam Sanchez

I forgot to mention I had also checked the cables as one of the first troubleshooting things. I did not check the DMA though, will have to when I get home.

4. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

If Windows gets errors with DMA, it sometimes disables it. There is then no way to re-enable it, it won't let you do it even in the advanced settings.

The easiest way to fix that is to go to the device manager in windows and delete the dvd-burner. Then, reboot the machine and plug & play will automatically add it back - this time with DMA.

5. Adam Sanchez

Oh well if that is the only way to get DMA back, I already did that last night. I deleted the whole thing off my PC and rebooted and had it come back but the problem remained.

Thank you for the ideas though.

6. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Probably a silly question, but are you using the same media to burn to as before? Ie same discs, same manufacturer, same speed rating?

7. Adam Sanchez

Yes same media, which was working fine and now is burning slow as i mentioned above. They are all from the same spindle.

The DVD+R's Im using that are now burning slow (but were fine before) are Fujifilms.

The CD-R's I decided to try to see if the CD part was at least burning full speed at Verbatim and they aren't going past 20x even though it's set to burn at 48x.

8. Adam Sanchez

Last night I found out DMA was off so I turned it back on but the problem didn't improve. I also realized it is only reading discs at about 2.4x and wont get any higher.

Could my cable be a problem that's limiting speed? My cable is a rounded after market one I bought.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Well, pop in a flat cable to rule out the round cable. At worst, maybe it's time to buy another burner, they are around $40 delivered, anyhow.

10. Adam Sanchez

I tried a flat cable tonight. Still burning really slow. It's now down to 2.4. I dont know what's causing it. Burning is also bringing my Computer to a near standstill which it didn't do before. I have a 3.2 P4 with 2Gigs of Ram and could always multitask before.

What Burner could I get for $40? I would like another Plextor. I know the PX-716 is popular but they also have the newer PX-740A that is faster I have read but missing a few of the advance testing features of the 716. If anyone has either, I would like to know how they are.

Thanks

11. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Read up on the LiteOn model at Newegg. One of their models has gotten great reviews (about 600+ of them) and runs in the $40 range.

Oh, and I have one and it's been great for me so far.

12. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

adam:

i had the same problem burning some movies as well. the problem seemed to be limited to just certain movies. take one of your movies that you were able to burn at 12x and try to reburn it and see if it lets you burn at higher speeds. just a thought. also, what are you using to burn? nero? have you checked to make sure your aspi layers haven't been corrupted?

kevin t

13. Adam Sanchez

I was using a few programs, trying different things. Roxio and Alcohol. Now that you mention it, my nero isn't working. It has been having a critical error whenever I try to load The Burning ROM. I reinstalled it but it didn't help. I didn't think the problems were related since my other burning software works. How do I check/fix the aspi layers?

I have burned data, mp3s, and alot of dvd images. None of them burn at the right speed.

14. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

did you delete all of the ide channels? make sure that all of them are gone including primary and secondary. the computer will then force you to reboot. and all should be well after that.

try that. it always works for me.

15. Adam Sanchez

How would I delete the IDE channels? That wouldnt wipe my hard drive would it?

Could this be a MB driver problem? I have an ABit. All my other devices work fine. I have a second optical drive, a DVD player and I have been using it to make images, which it does fine. MY HDD is serial ata so it's fine as well.

16. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

deleting the ide channels will not wipe your hard drive it will just force your computer to reinstall to a default status. (which is what you want)

1. right click my computer
    2. click on properties.
    3. choose the hardware tab.
    4. choose the device manager tab.
    5. go down to the primary and secondary ide channels and delete them. after you delete each channel your computer will ask you to reboot. WAIT to reboot until you have deleted all of the channels.
    6. your computer will force you to reboot. (do so.)
    7. after you reboot your problem should be fixed now.

Happy New Year.

17. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

the technical method to do this. the above method accomplishes this without directly messing with the registry.

Re-enable DMA using the Registry Editor
    by Alexander Grigoriev

Run REGEDIT. Go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetContro lClass{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

It has subkeys like 0000, 0001, 0002, etc. Normally 0001 is the primary IDE channel, 0002 the secondary, but other numbers can occur under certain circumstances. Check the DriverDesc value to see which one it is.

Delete MasterIdDataChecksum or SlaveIdDataChecksum, depending on whether the device in question is attached as master or slave, but it can't actually hurt to delete both. Reboot. The drive DMA capabilities will be redetected.

Open Device Manager again and check whether the device is now actually using DMA mode. If so, congratulations, you've made it (at least until the next time Windows disables DMA).

Alternative Method—Uninstalling the Port
    1. Uninstall the secondary IDE port
    To do that, open Device Manager as follows. Right-click on My Computer, select Properties, click on the Hardware tag, click on the Device Manager button, click on the plus sign to the left of IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller, right-click on Secondary IDE Channel, click on Uninstall. Deactivating is not enough.

Reboot to make the changes active and permanent.

After booting Windows will automatically reinstall the IDE channel and the DVD (or CD) drive. This Plug-n-Play process can take a little while, so give it a minute after the boot process finishes.

2. Reactivate DMA
    But this is not enough, because unfortunately Windows does not automatically activate DMA on a DVD or CD drive. You have to tell Windows to try to use DMA first.

For that, go to Device Manager again. Right-click on My Computer, select Properties, click on the Hardware tag, click on the Device Manager button, click on the plus sign to the left of IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller, double-click on the secondary IDE channel, click on Extended Settings and change the relevant setting from PIO only to DMA when available.

On Windows NT and 2000 you now have to reboot a second time, but Windows XP applies the change instantly. Then you can go to the same place in Device Manager again and check whether the device is now actually using DMA mode. If so, all is well.

Desensitize Your Computer's IDE Channels
    There's a bit more to it. The following article offers a way to reduce the incidence of this problem, although it still doesn't solve it altogether.

IDE ATA and ATAPI Disks Use PIO Mode After Multiple Time-Out or CRC Errors Occur
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=817472

Do read this article because it contains a useful long-term workaround. But you have to go through the procedure described here to re-enable DMA first. Assuming you've done that, insert the ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess registry values mentioned in this article into both the primary and the secondary IDE port registry keys as described.

Unfortunately this is only a half solution, because when you enter an unreadable DVD, you will get 6 errors in a row, and the IDE channel will revert to PIO mode, but at least when you pull out the DVD in time and then insert a good one, the error counter will be reset and it will at least be a bit more difficult for Windows to hobble your IDE drive.

link:

http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...e+ide+channels

18. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

adam:

i'm using you use nero 6. go to the nero infotool section and click on the ASPI tab. you should see something that looks like this:

[​IMG]

if you have ASPI problems heres how to fix it:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/aspisetup.cfm
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cd...tools/aspi.cfm
    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/4047.cfm
    adaptec ASPI page: http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/sup...oduct.jsp?c...
    a thread on ASPI:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/259118
    there is the ForceASPI option if the regular ASPI doesn't take, or work.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cd...ls/frcaspi.cfm