What's new

DVD bug ... any thoughts??? (1 Viewer)

Matthew Johnson

Auditioning
I currently bought Spy Game and my local Best Buy and when I watched it for the first time on my Toshiba SD-1200 player. Suddenly there were Hearing Impaired titles being shown, not subtitles (i don't think), because it would put up text like "Man Coughs, helicoptor sound, etc" ... So I go into the set-up area of the DVD and find that I can highlight the Hearing Impaired selection, and it is set to English but that is the only option, no spanish, no off. Why can you highlight this and not be able to change anything??? Wierd.

Here's where things get kinda confusing, I put the Spy Game DVD in my Playstation 2. No Hearing Impaired titles!

So it's my player right ... not so fast buddy.

I got Harry Potter from Netflix 2 days ago. I put it in my Toshiba player and I got the Hearing Impaired titles, so I immediately put it in my Playstation 2 and STILL got the Hearing Impaired titles. Arrrgh.

So what do you all think? I am at a loss at the moment.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
This disc was reported as defective a while back ago. Maybe that's the problem.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Matthew,

If you're getting yellow titles with no background (clear to the image), chance are this is from the player's generated subtitles.

If you're getting actual closed captions (these are usually white with a black bar background)- this is a function of your TV set. Many TVs have a built in CC decoder.

Although it sounds like there is a documented problem with SPY GAME- you should examine the title types to see if they match player generated subtitles or CC from a CC decoder.

-Vince

Matthew Johnson

Auditioning
Vince,

Yes these are exactly like CC ... black bkd with white text. And I did go into my TV menu and make sure they were shut off as well. ??? Still happened though. Thanks for the thought.

MJ

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
You could turn the DVD subtitles on and see if they look any different. If they do look different, that would at least tell you for sure that it's your TV somehow flipping on the closed-captioning. If the subtitles your DVD player provides look just the same, though, given the fact that this is a known issue with this disk, I'd assume that's the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks