DVD bubbles in the center hub of the disc

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Erwin, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Erwin

Erwin Stunt Coordinator

What exactly is the severity or meaning of having one of these in the middle of the DVD disc? I usually have them replaced once I see it, however, I have some that never were replaced. Some will have tiny bubbles around the hub (almost like seeing a bottle of hair gel) and others look like a "smear" (like when you used to take two thin glass slides in science and place water or liquid between them). Anyway, I didn't know if these abnormalities were OK or they meant trouble down the road.

2. Ryan-G

Ryan-G Supporting Actor

I can't imagine it's really an issue. Sounds to me like a byproduct of the manufacturing process, heat or when the layers are put together.

As long as it's in the hub, and doesn't extend close to the area where data is stored, it shouldn't be a problem. Large bubbles might comprimise the strength of the material causing it to crack under high speed, large smears might represent areas where the layers can seperate.

All in all though, if you intend to hold onto your DVD's as Collectors Items, best to trade them in. Eventually it might be an issue, a decade down the road, even under the best circumstances as the materials "Age" and become more brittle.

3. Richard>S

Richard>S Extra

Yes, got to concur with the fact it is going to be due to the manufacturing process and essentially this just going to be the glue drying whilst bonding the whole disc together etc i would think.

If i was to get worried about bubbles/smears at hubs and cloudy swirls on discs i doubt i'd have many discs at all left in my collection of some 400+ titles etc....

4. Erwin

Erwin Stunt Coordinator

I've noticed that it rarely happens when I get one DVD movie. It happens when I get sets. I bought the Star Wars Trilogy and 3 of them had it. I just bought the Batman Anthology and 4 of the DVDs have it out of the 8 discs.