What's new

DVD board game!?!?!? "Scene It" seems very nice! (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

I stumbled across this article in the latest issue of Video Store Magazine (Nov. 10-16, page 11). It describes a boardgame that is a cross between Monopoly and Trivial Pursuit, but comes with a DVD...to aid gameplay!
Retailing at $49.99, Scene It! includes a game board; a disc with movie clips and questions; four game pieces; movie trivia cards; “Buzz” cards that function similar to Chance or Community Chest cards in Monopoly; and two game dice. Each turn may involve a clip from the disc or questions from the cards.
...There are more than 500 clips from 20th Century Fox, DreamWorks, MGM, Sony and Universal Studios in the first
iteration of the game.
...More than 250 actors have agreed to appear in the game.
Eventually, Screenlife hopes to release sequel game sets. “We’re preparing another broad movie version...Classic TV and movies are logical sequels.”
This is available online via the Toys R Us portion of Amazon, but still shows as "unreleased" with no ability to preorder...the best you can do today is add it to your wishlist.
The ability to search for local stores to purchase it at is available at the website, SceneIt.com. But the real reason to visit is the gameplay sample you can find there! :D :emoji_thumbsup:
This thing seems fun and easy to play, and is designed to let the casual moviewatcher stand a chance against film buffs. My wife, who IS more than a "casual" cinema-goer, but admits to being nowhere near the fanatic I am, just trounced me thoroughly on several of the sample rounds!
Fun for everyone, and something I want under my Christmas tree. :D

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I think I may have to check this out. Luckily, it's available at a board game store in the mall 5 minutes from campus. :)

I already have this. It's a pretty fun game. The game is fairly short, but I've only played with 3 people so far. It looks like a lot of fun with a big group playing. Watch Q13 Morning News in Seattle next Monday (Nov. 25) for a story on it. Sometime between 6-9am.

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
The two guys that made this are from Seattle. They have an expansion pack in the works. It is a really cool idea!

i suppose thats one good thing about seattle, that we get a lot of rain that keeps us indoors watching movies and hatching boardgames that make us watch more moview.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Ok, will anybody believe me if I said that a couple of friends and I actually discussed the fact that someone should make a game very similar to this?!
We want royalties!!! :)
Seriously, I think it was only a matter of time before a game like this was released. If you have friends that are movie lovers, this could really be a lot of fun.

Eric Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Can you play this game with 2 people or do you need at least 3? Can you tell I don't have many friends? ;)
-Eric

Are all the film clips from 80's/90's films? If there are any scenes/questions from classic movies of the 1930's to the 1970's I'm all over this...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
There's another boardgame put out by Blockbuster--I think it's called the Blockbuster Movie game or something. It doesn't come with a disc, but the concept is that you watch 1 minute of the scene of your choosing, then the player whose turn it is asks the other players a question about it.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
One of my friends and I devised a rather simple movie game ourselves. One starts off by naming a movie and the next person names another one that has something in common with the previous film, whether it be actor, director, writer, gaffer so on, and on...some of the connections got rather obscure and the answers were pretty thin, and in that case, the other players judge whether or not the answer is legit.

It starts out decievingly easy and slowly becomes harder and harder.

Oh yeah, and each movie can only be listed once.

DavidEC

Stunt Coordinator
This reminds me of all the VHS+Board games from the mid-'81's where you would "FAST FORWARD" the tape to watch a scene to make your next move in the game..

While many of these games were fun.. it just took forever to play because you were always waiting for the tape to get to the next scene!... and due to the cheap grade of tape used many of tapes broke after the forth playing..

I have one based on the SciFi novel "I-Robot" released by Kodak that still plays.

--David

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I saw this last week at an 'all games' store in the mall, so it is out there even if Amazon doesn't think so. It looked pretty cool too. The info about an expansion set coming makes it even more purchase worthy.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
This is highly fustrating! Amazon now talks about this like it's something "not stocked or has been discontinued" (their exact words). Nordstrom.com says it won't ship until 12/12 when I go to put it in my shopping bag. There is no storefront within 2 states of Memphis, TN that has it, and the ones that ARE in a state where I have relatives who might buy it and send it to me for the holidays are 4 hours away from where those relatives live.
I even looked it up on eBay; no - ahem - dice. :frowning:
Yet I see HTF folks who live in Seattle are getting copies for free from the owner!
I suppose my best bet is to take a chance on Nordstrom.com and their 12/12 expectations, but I hate cutting things that close! Shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks