DVD Black Bars

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sheldon, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

Hey Guys...Does anyone know of a DVD Player that gives you the option in the menu of playing DVD's without those black bars?I was told that their are a few on the market that give you the option in the menu to play your DVD in a way that allows you to view it without black bars on the top and bottom of your tv screen.I understand that it has a fill-in option.

2. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Sheldon,
    Sounds like you are looking into a dvd player with some kind of zoom in feature. I think most players have this (some more "suped up" than others). I must tell you though that most of us here prefer OAR and would suggest not using any type of feature that alters the way the movie should be seen. Unless you like having half of the movie cut out. [​IMG]
    Dan Hine

3. Jonathan Wong

Jonathan W
    My DVD player has 3 display options: 1) Wide, 2) Letter-box, and 3) Pan & Scan. No black bars are displayed in option 1 and 3. Using option 1 picture will be streched when displaying in 4:3 TV. Option 3 will chop off left and right portions of the picture.

JW

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

To get a good idea of what those black bars are and why the majority of this forums member ship fell OAR is the only way to watch a movie take a look at this link.
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...hic/index.html
    The first bit just explains anamorphic (which you should read anyways). The end of the document explains aspect ratios and letter boxing with the aid of some excellent pictures.

5. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

A current issue of Sound & Vision mag handed out their Viewer's Choice awards and gave one to the Samsung DVD-M301.It offers a screen fit feature that crops a widescreen movie to fit a 4:3 tv.I thought that it cut off a little of the picture but I wasn't sure.

6. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

It cuts more than just a little. If you crop a 2.35:1 movie to fit 4:3 then you're losing 40% of the movie. There's no way around it. Period.

Generally speaking, any time you tamper with a movie's OAR you're degrading the impact of the film and ruining the director's intent.

7. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

One word. Mattes. Build a pair of those to cover the black bars and you will notice a world of difference. Doing that is what helped me to fall in love with widescreen and I only have a 27" tv.