DVD better PQ on PC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Capulli, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Mike Capulli

Mike Capulli Stunt Coordinator

I just finished watching Ice Age on my HDTV set and came in and popped it into my PC.

Howcome a DVD looks better on my PC than my 53in Sony widescreen HDTV set? My PC resolution can't even go as high as my HD set which is 1080 right?

Im basically just wondering if my dvd player (JVC XV-S62SL) is really bringing the TV PQ down or what? Whats going on here?

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Your 53" widescreen HDTV with 7" CRT's can resolve maybe 1100 lines (600x1100 or so) if you're lucky, the set is perfectly calibrated, the stars are aligned, etc...
    What kind of monitor do you have? [​IMG]
    Actually, the real issue isn't the resolution, since DVD's are natively 720x480. Often, PC's are better deinterlacers and scalers than many DVD and HDTV's.

3. Mike Capulli

Mike Capulli Stunt Coordinator

The monitor is just a Viewsonic. How can I bump up the PQ on my TV to a comparable level? Im assuming that HDTV programs will look more stunning?

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Mike,
    The point is that DVD is a standard definition source- meaning even at best from a stand alone DVD player you're going to get 480p-- it's simply not high definition.
    However, some people use scalers to process 480 DVD up to higher resolutions. One popular way to do this is to use a PC (which is essentially what you saw on your monitor)-- there is a whole giant area of Home Theater called HTPC. Realistically you should realize that a part of the "improved" quality on the PC monitor was likely because it wasn't blown up to 53 inches-- but that being said- a PC supplying playback of DVD will slaughter progressive scan DVD on most well-authored DVDs.
    You should read the "Using a computer in you home theater: An introduction to HTPC" article in the Primer and FAQ (link in my signature).
    You could also read this recent discussion:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=109727
    -Vince