What's new

DVD BD UHD of Kellie O Hara in stage Productions of South Pacific and the King and ? (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yeah, I saw the original Follies and that scaled down (1999?) first Broadway revival with Blythe Danner, Polly Bergen, Treat Williams, and Gregory Harrison. The cast (apart from Marge Champion who was too feeble to be up there) was wonderful, but it was such a disappointing production being so scaled down. Remember how Forbidden Broadway made fun of the scaled down Sweeney Todd and called it Teeny Todd. This was Teeny Follies.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I saw the original Follies and that scaled down (1999?) first Broadway revival with Blythe Danner, Polly Bergen, Treat Williams, and Gregory Harrison. The cast (apart from Marge Champion who was too feeble to be up there) was wonderful, but it was such a disappointing production being so scaled down. Remember how Forbidden Broadway made fun of the scaled down Sweeney Todd and called it Teeny Todd. This was Teeny Follies.
I didn't see the original Follies but I did see the 1985 concert version with Barbara Cook, Lee Remick, Mandy Patinkin, George Hearn, Carol Burnett, Elaine Strich etc. This was in 1985 and was a 2 night event at Lincoln Center where they recorded the complete (almost) score for the first time. The audience was the most enthusiastic I have ever been a part of. It's a shame they only filmed a documentary about the concert instead of the full show.

The British version, professionally shot, has turned up on youtube from time to time but it is soon taken down for copyright infringement. At least the recording exists so there is always the possibility that it could be made available for a disc.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The London production of "Anything Goes" with Sutton Foster is coming to blu ray in March 2023. It was on PBS in 2022. It joins "An American in Paris "and "42nd St.", two other American musicals filmed in London. Same company, Liberator Films, is putting this out.

edelweissflower

Supporter
Real Name
STEPHEN COWLEY
Just seen on the Ultra HD channel on Vigin in the UK the filmed performance of Kellie OHara in the stage production of 'The King and I' and wondering whether it will be released on DVD BD or UHD as I liked it more than the 1956 film as all the songs are intact unlike the film which cut some of the best ones out. Also will we see the same of her performance in
South Pacific which in many ways for me was better and more complete than the 1958 fim version.
I have managed to get off eBay a promotional copy of the the Kelly O Hara KIng and I , it isnt of the best quality like the HD version that I recorded off the UHD virgin channel here in the UK but I love because it has all the songs cut from the 1956 film. are there including two of my favourites 'Shall I Never You What I Think of You' and best of all 'I Have Dreamed' I do still wonder if those cut songs from the film still survive somewhere? also the cut songs from the 1956 film of 'Carousel' my fav being 'Your A Queer One Julie Jordon' which on a 1956 episode of 'What's My Line' Rodgers with Hammerstein admit it was one of the first songs to end up on the cutting room floor. Although I believe all the songs cut from both Movies were ONLY cut for reasons of timing as both films would have run too long? any thoughts . The cut songs are all on the soundtrack album of both pictures, although again I believe 'My Lord and Master' was never filmed. Apparently there is/was talk of them being filmed again, if true I wouldn't want to see any songs cut again

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I have the MVD Blu-ray of 42nd Street from 2019, and just ordered Anything Goes this evening and expect it to be likewise delightful. The audio and video quality of the former was quite nice; even if occasionally the cast struggled to hide their British accents, the singing and dancing were top notch.
I’d love to support more filmed stage productions like these. I’d fervently hoped the recent gender switching production of Sondheim’s Company would be offered, as I suspect that would’ve been in relatively high demand, and not just for Patti LuPone’s myriad fans.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Still waiting on a Blu-ray of the National Theatre Live: Follies (2017). As close to the original 1972 production as I’ve ever seen.
That would be great. I was able to to see it on youtube before it was taken down. It was 720 HD and a great pleasure to see pro shot and upscaled on my 4K 77 inch TV.

Concerning the 1956 Carousel, Frank Sinatra was to be the original star of the film but quit . Before he did, he pre recorded the entire score. The recordings do still exist. Probably due to rights with the Sinatra estate, the these recordings have never been included as an extra on a video release of the film. Sinatra's involvement was probably why the soundtrack was released on Capital Records which was his record label at the time.

Here is a trailer for the National Theater Live Follies (2017)

A recreation of the original 1971 "Who's That Woman". The footage was silent from the LA tour in 1972. The sound is from the original NY production in 1971. Sally in the footage is Janet Blair. Sally's voice is Dorothy Collins. Per info on Youtube.

Gene Nelson as Buddy in 1971 Follies. They never seem to cast a dancer as Buddy in Follies revival which makes the original "The Right Girl" kind of unique.

Last edited:

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Laura Benanti was perfect at the performance of My Fair Lady at Lincoln Center that I attended. What a great performer!

Yes, we saw the original production with Lauren Ambrose, who was terrific, but when they announced Laura would be taking over, we had to go again--and she lifted it to an entirely new level.

And let's not forget her constantly breaking up Colbert whenever she plays Melania!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks