What's new

DVD-Basen is down (for good?!) (1 Viewer)

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Have him setup a PayPal donation thing. I'm willing to give him a few bucks toward his hosting. I LOVE that site!

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Glad to see this site may survive after all - it's the first place I go to read about DVDs!

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
Mark for Prez!!! Oh, wait, he lives in Canada. Surely we can bend the rules a little...

Seriously, if you can help this site keep going, you be da man.

Tom B. Stones

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! This is (was, let's hope) nothing less than a tragedy. What a dreadful, dreadful loss. :frowning:
For anyone remotely serious about making informed choices, DVD-Basen was a invaluable one-stop-shop - perhaps the single most significant DVD site out there.
Much respect and many thanks to Ole Kofoed for remarkable work.

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
As a "distant cousin" from the far away Spain to all you forum members, who don't contribute that much (due mainly to my lack of English fluency), I would like to show my utmost appreciation to Mark and, of course, to Ole, for keeping alive that treasure of a website that is DVD Basen.
;)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Mark - I second the Paypal donation idea. I'd be more than happy to contribute a few bucks toward the continuing health of the site.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
DVD-Basen is one of the first places I go to look for reviews. Here's hoping for a speedy and successful return!

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Hey guys,
A deal was reached earlier this afternoon and now I'm just waiting on Ole to reply to an email and start moving his files and database over to the server.
As for the Paypal thing. I ran it by Ole and he was interested but thought that he wouldn't get a very good deal converting the money into Danish currency at his bank. He did say he would consider this and also suggested that gift certificates to his favourite etailers might be a better suggestion.
Regardless it looks as if the site is out of the danger zone and hopefully it'll be back up and running very shortly.
I'm glad that we could reach an agreement because the site is really one of the most valuable resources out there for DVD Reviews and I'm not just saying that because my reviews are featured there.
Thanks for all the kind words :)

A deal was reached earlier this afternoon and now I'm just waiting on Ole to reply to an email and start moving his files and database over to the server.
Just adding my vote in the newly-launched "Mark for President" campaign... :emoji_thumbsup: :)
Seriously, many thanks Mark, a whole lot of people are going to be seriously grateful to you and Ole. From my own point of view, not only did DVD-Basen promptly index my reviews, but also provided an invaluable tool for searching for the features of versions from other regions.
- Anthony

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Why not leave the money in the Paypal account to pay for hosting and other web expenses since its being hosted in North America now.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the way Paypal works money I believe could go into the account and then right back out again without ever suffering the exchange rate blues.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Hmm.. This is the message that greets you when you visit the site...

-----

June 7, 2002
Good news!

First a little update what happend to DVD-Basen: 3 days ago the hoster of DVD-Basen suddenly, unexpected and without any warning removed the site from the server even it only used 25% of the bandwidth that followed the hosting. After 4 different hosters in 2 years I'm getting a little tired of moving the site and came to the conclusion that the amount of money I want to spend to make this service and the size (bandwidth/database) of the site dosen't fit any longer. So I decided to close down the site... The news went almost the world around in DVD newsgroups and forums and I got some e-mails from people who would like to help me, one concrete offer from Mark McLeod (reviewer at Current Film) looked good and now I have made a deal with him and hope it will last long.

So DVD-Basen will be back next week :)

Ole

----

He's begun to move in so we'll all see him soon!

M.

Scott _M

Auditioning
Wow...I guess I'm not the only one to feel the way I did a few days ago. I must hit their site at least once every day. I'm one of the first who posted this news (on another forum) because I use it ALL THE TIME. My Monday June 3 experience (warning): "Bear with us, we are shifting DVD-Basen around, hope you like the new format". Tuesday June 4 scenario: Does the Great Race have good audio and video? Let's check DVD Basen...yikes...what happened!!!!!! This CANNOT happen...I NEED this site! Anyway, I flat-out can't think of a more valuable site that exists on the entire Internet. Thanks Mark for coming through in the clutch!

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Nice job Mark, Basen is an excellent resource and many thanks for allowing it to live on :).

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Mark, thanks a lot. It's so nice to see the support for DVD-Basen, not only in words, but actions as well.

I've always known the HTF crowd was a good bunch...

Gord

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks