What's new

DVD-Basen is down (for good?!) (1 Viewer)

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
DVD-Basen, one of the best sites I ever visited, to see just about every review of a given DVD, appears to be closed down, thanks to the hosting service. If someone doesn't help this guy get this site back up, it would be a great loss.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. DVD Basen has been a great source - and it carried our reviews, too! Hope it rebounds, though the home page statement doesn't sound optimistic...

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Does anyone have a way of contacting them. I know some people in the webhosting biz (including myself) that might be able to help them out.

Mark

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
This is horrible. DVD-Basen is one of the most useful sites I visit, and there's nothing comparable to it that I know of.

Oscar

Second Unit
I think that what they should do is make a site of their own.
Out of a web service like Geocities or MSN, etc.
I also agree that this guys were excellent.
But when i readed about this i began to fear that the HT forum some day will be closed!
:eek:

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
This is/was an absolutely superb resource that should not be allowed to die. This is the only e-mail address that I had for them:
[email protected]
Thanks Derek.
I'm going to try and contact them later tonight when I have more then a few spare minutes on the PC and see what I can do to help them get back online.
I run a webhosting buisness with a friend and we'd love to have them either as clients or if they can't afford to pay then I think I can bring them on board for free.
If I can help them then I will.
Mark

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
Mark,

You are welcome- and thank you. Hopefully you will be able to help resurrect this indispensable DVD resource.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
If you get ahold of them let me know. I would like to see what their bandwidth usage is, etc.

Parker

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
This is so damn sad. DVD-Basen was certainly one of the most useful DVD sites out there. I really hope someone can help them out.

Bernhard

Stunt Coordinator
They've been offline for 2 days now and I just read the announcement on the site... very sad - I hope you guys manage to contact them, it would be a great loss if we lose that site forever :frowning:

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Ok guys,

I just sent an email and hopefully something can be worked out. I agree that this is a priceless resource and hopefully we'll get it back.

I'll keep you posted.

Mark

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
http://www.dvd-basen.dk/
Hello all users of DVD-Basen.
I've just recieved an e-mail from the hoster of DVD-Basen, they have suspended my site because of lagging the server and they can't have DVD-Basen on shared hosting anymore. DVD-Basen needs to be placed on a dedicated server, but I won't pay so much for my site.
So DVD-Basen is now closed down. Thanks to all who mentioned the site everywhere (Gary Ford, Hendrik, Tony B. ect. ect.) and made it a succes.
Best Wishes
Ole Kofoed
I hope that something can be done. Reviews I have written are linked there as well! I hope Ole doesn't give up easily, because he provides a terrific service that allows anyone to easily get multiple views of one product and see the opinions of reviewers from all over the place in one consise spot. Almost every great site has a growing pain like this one. If you guys can help him out, then I hope Ole wants to stick with it, and isn't just tired of the whole thing.
It's terrible that the killer here was the increased bandwidth due to his success! :frowning:

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I also felt a sense of loss when I discovered that DVD-Basen was down. I used to go there quite often to read many reviews of various titles. I really hope that the site will come back again. To you who are working to bring it back - Thanks!

Gregory

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Update : I just heard back from Ole and the good news is that he's willing to continue to maintain the site
Looks like the site will be back soon :)

Todd_B

Second Unit
I was looking for a review ealier today and pretty much freaked out when I couldn't get into Basen. I just sat here staring at my screen not knowing what to do. :frowning:
...so this post (and news) is greatly appreciated!!
Todd B

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
I was looking for a review ealier today and pretty much freaked out when I couldn't get into Basen. I just sat here staring at my screen not knowing what to do.

...so this post (and news) is great appreciated!!
Yeah.. I'm just glad he's willing to keep going too. It's very easy to give up after a host does something like this.

Hopefully we'll work out all the details soon and the site will be back in place ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn35
Recent bookmarks