DVD authoring programs that have animated menus and 5.1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ToddJ, Nov 18, 2002.

1. ToddJ

ToddJ Second Unit

Are there any DVD authoring programs that have animated menus and can encode the sound in 5.1?

2. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

iDVD 2 supports animated menu screens (moving backgrounds, music in the background), but as far as I know does not support Dolby 5.1.

I would guess that DVD Studio Pro would support both, but it's a $1,000 program, so I've never really checked its feature list.

3. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

By the way, if you're converting from 8mm or Hi8 to DVD-Video (I saw your other post), you don't need Dolby 5.1.

All you need is Dolby 2.0 or PCM stereo (assuming you've got a stereo camcorder). Of those, PCM would be better, not that your typical home camcorder soundtrack is clean enough for it to make any practical difference.

4. AngeloR

AngeloR Auditioning

Apparently there are some Mac users around here (*cough*)... [​IMG]
    For those with PC's, the Pinnacle Studio Deluxe V8 for $299 (get $100 rebate if you buy from now until 12/??) seems to be a really great deal that can create multiple linked menus, motion menus, and motion buttons. I just picked mine up, but haven't got a chance to use it. I'll post a review when I get it going! You can also get the V8 software only for $99 if you have a capture device.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

If you want to encode in DD 5.1, you're talking over $1000 for the encoder alone

6. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

I thought the A-Pack app included with Apple's $999 DVD Studio Pro did 5.1.

Unless you have a hi-fidelity program, like a music video, I would lean toward DD 2.0 instead of PCM. DD 2.0 takes up less space, leaving more for better quality video and/or longer running time. I have also found that 2.0 seems to smooth out some crackles in VHS sound tracks (probably by compressing them away).

//Ken

7. Tom Moran

Tom Moran Agent

Yes - But budget for the equipment to mix and master your audio in 5.1 before even thinking about spending the money on getting 5.1 onto your DVD's.

Unless you know how to skillfully mix surround sound and are properly equipped to do so you will probably find it a waste to have this capability in your DVD authoring software.

Tom

8. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I've got DVDit PE which can encode its own Dolby Digital 2.0 soundtracks or import a 2.0 soundtrack encoded elsewhere, but it refuses to import a 5.1 soundtrack that was encoded elsewhere. There's no reason for the limitation, it's purely artificial. Because the people who make DVDit, which is priced anywhere from "free" (included with DVD burners) to $500 for the PE version, also make the $2000 mid-level authoring packages and the $10,000+ Scenarist authoring packages. Heaven forbid the different levels of software might have similar capabilities that blur the lines and make the expensive stuff less worthy.