DVD-Audito: Bits and Khz - Inaccurate Specs?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Luis M, May 21, 2004.

1. Luis M

Luis M Second Unit

What is it that everytime I read the display on my Denon 2900 dvd-audio player is different from the specs on the dvd-audio disc?

The disc says 16 bits and 48 Khz and the dvd player displays 24 bits and 48 Khz, some songs are recorded at 96 Khz and the dvd player displays 48 Khz. It's 24 bits and 48 Khz all I will be able to hear? Are there any audible difference between 48 Khz and 96 Khz?

2. Luis M

Luis M Second Unit

Wow...I am overwhelmed by the responses. This amount of information will take me weeks to digest.

3. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    You wanted an answer within a day? But you didn't pay!
    Have some patience, Luis.

Cees

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

It might help attract attention if the thread title conveyed more information. "Bits and Khz" isn't very informative. Let's try something different.

M.

5. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

i can't answer a specific question about what your player is displaying versus what you think it should be displaying.

but, is there an audible difference between 48kHz and 96kHz? yes. 16bits and 24bits? yes.

6. Luis M

Luis M Second Unit

I just found out that even though the information when you play the disc gives you different specs for different songs, in the back cover it states that all recording have a sample rate of 48K and a bit depth of 24. I am sure there's some reference discs out there that have higher sampling rates, I'll be searching for them. Thank you.

7. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

yes, you'll find variable sampling rates on the discs. i think that the most current, present-day recordings are able to utilize the very latest technologies and will probably have the highest sampling rates.