DVD-Audio

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Eric_Connelly, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Eric_Connelly

Eric_Connelly Second Unit

Since the unit has 5.1 channel outputs, does it support DVD-Audio?

I know SACD is a big no no...but I'll ask, SACD?

This is one of my biggest hold ups right now. I have a SACD/DVD-A upscaling changer and prefer analog audio via my ICBM so whatever player I replace my Yamaha 950 with has to do both formats since I can't have them hooked up at the same time.

2. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

I don't think that any of the HD-DVD's will support SACD since Sony created SACD.

SACD might appear on a Blu-Ray player but I'm not sure if it appear on an HD-DVD player.

3. Pete T C

Pete T C Second Unit

No DVD-A or SACD on the Toshiba. Of course, you can still play the DVD-V portion of DVDA discs on the Toshi.

4. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Seems like such a natural for at least Tosh to support DVD-A in HD DVD players and Sony to support SA-CD in BD players, especially given the PCM approach to movie audio on the first wave of high def titles. It's my understanding that HDMI 1.3 supports SACD/DVD-A. Hopefully the manufs will support the high rez music formats with second gen players, when hopefully DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD are available.

And then the latest round of bass management debate and teeth gnashing can begin.

5. Eric_Connelly

Eric_Connelly Second Unit

Well that sucks...I heard someone else mentioning using a composite switch but that adds ALOT of cost and complexity.

I already have 12 cables back there, from the DVD player to the ICBM, and from the ICBM to my reciever, putting another in gives me 18 cables, at $160 a set isn't cheap.

6. Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer Second Unit

I'll be waiting for the next generation of HD players for DVD-A support. My DVD-2900 does dvd-a and sacd very well...