DVD-Audio without the TV! I love it!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Dec 18, 2001.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

First off, I have to give thanks to John Kotches and Michael_T for helpful tips on playing DVD-Audio discs without a TV. Without them, none of this would have been possible. I'd also like to thank the Academy... [​IMG]
    Seriously, for those who find it a pain to play DVD-Audio discs via the on-screen menus on your TV, well, you don't have to. I suppose the ease of playing discs without the TV could depend on what player you have, but with my Technics DVD-A10, it is very easy, and I love it. I was able to toggle between the surround-sound and stereo tracks very easily with no TV on Eagles Hotel California, Foreigner Foreigner, Fleetwood Mac Rumours, The Doors L.A. Woman, and Steely Dan Two Against Nature using the following procedure:
    1) Place the disc on the tray, and with the tray open, press "Play" (not "Open/Close"). Pressing Play allows you to operate the DVD-Audio player like a CD player. Hence, you don't need a menu to select tracks.
    2) The surround-sound track will start playing by default. There is no waiting for the splash screen or top menu. The tray closes, and the disc starts playing.
    3) The surround-sound track is Group 1 on these discs. If you press the "Audio" button on the remote, "96 kHz 24-bit 6 Ch" will scroll across the display. The only exception is The Doors L.A. Woman disc. When you press the Audio button with the surround-sound track playing, "Cannot Downmix" scrolls across the display. In any event, selecting Group 1 plays the surround-sound tracks.
    4) The stereo track is Group 2 on these discs. With the surround-sound track playing, if you press the "Group" button once, the group number will flash. With the '1' flashing for the surround-sound track, press the Group button again. This will cause a '2' to flash. Now press Play. This will switch the disc to Group 2, the stereo track. On the 'A10, the switching time between Groups is only a few seconds.
    5) With the stereo track playing, press the Audio button, and "XXX kHz 24-bit 2 Ch" scrolls across the display. Of course, with stereo tracks, the sampling frequency is not always the same (e.g., 192 kHz for the Eagles disc, 96 kHz for Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, and Foreigner, and 88.2 kHz for The Doors). The appropriate sampling frequency is displayed for each disc.
    That's it! This is great! On a side note, after playing the stereo program, the player automatically plays the surround-sound track, which sounds quite odd on my stereo system. It's sort of like those "Music Minus One" recordings they used to make for musicians since the vocals are usually missing when the surround-sound track is played through the stereo system. Weird. In some ways, it's cool. Right now, I am listening to the L.A. Woman surround-sound track through the stereo system. It sounds like a jam session between Manzarek, Densmore, and Krieger (the "Other Voices"). Occasionally, Morrison's voice is heard off in the distance. [​IMG]
    There have been many times in the past when I didn't feel like firing up the DVD-Audio player because I didn't want to deal with the TV. Now, I don't have to worry about it. Me so happy. [​IMG]

2. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

Poor little TV, aint good for nothing [​IMG]
    Anyway isn't it a pleasure to be able to work a DVD-A player without the TV monitor.
    My concern is that the less 'informed' - Joe sixpack - won't want to take the time or effort to learn this. If it weren't for VHS players that set their own clock, I am sure most people would still have it blinking 12:00. So how is the average Joe going to figure all this out to play a DVD-Audio disc?
    It still has to be made a bit easier - and I am sure it will, in time.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, you are right about the average Joe. I'm sure there are some who don't mind playing DVD-Audio discs via the TV since they are used to using on-screen for DVD movies. However, in comparison to the ease of playing CDs and SACDs, using a TV for a DVD-Audio player is a pain. Now, I can operate my DVD-Audio player much like my multi-channel SACD player. It is a great thing.

4. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Geez if ya just get yourself a good remote (Pronto, HTM,RTI,
    ETC) and set up a macro it's so patheticly easy to have
    everything turn on and begin in one fail swoop.
    If using theTV's OSD is J6P then damn I am J6P and proud of
    it! It's so much easier to navigate and since I have the
    right remote for the job I just hit the appropriate button,
    park my azz and watch everything turn on and play and the
    lights dim... Now all I need is a robot to bring my my drinks
    and I am set.. [​IMG]
    Great tip though!

5. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Brett,
    One of the audiophile "knocks" with DVD-A is that you are required to have a TV to play back the discs.
    Not so.
    Keith,
    I think you can go directly to the stereo tracks by closing the player, hitting the {Group} button followed by 2. This has worked for Toshiba based DVD-A players and also for the JVCs I've played with.
    It shouldn't even be necessary to start playback of the Surround Tracks in other words.
    For those of you that don't have a {Group} button, the
    {Top Menu} button is the same. It might also be called {Title}.
    John likes straightening out some audiophile inaccuracies over at the Audio Asylum
    Regards,

6. John Morris

John Morris Guest

7. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

I guess I've not been following but I've been doing this all along.

The Panasonic RP-91 allows you to change tracks with the "Group" button and I can go from Multi-Channel to Stereo very easily sans TV.

Good to get the tip out there though...it's not exactly intuitive on how to do this, I just figured it out through trial & error.

BTW Eagles - Hotel California 24/192 mix is just stunning.

8. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

This is great information, as I originally approached DVD-A thinking the video side was necessary to select the mix.

Actually, a MAJOR feature of these discs is the listing of the lyrics. But after a couple of viewings, it will be nice to not need the tube.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, thanks for the tip. It makes sense that I shouldn't have to start the surround-sound track first, but I never tried it any other way.
    You said:

10. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

KeithH,
    It's weird because I actually hate that, but found the 3rd person reference made the comment more amusing.
    But to answer your question:
    John likes spicy chicken
    Regards,

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, worth noting. Thanks. [​IMG]

12. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

Great thread! I learned something I didn't know today, so I went over to my RP91 and tried it and it works!
    Listening to Philip Glass dvda right now.
    Thanks again,
    JohnG[​IMG]

13. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, could selecting the Group button on the Philip Glass disc toggle between the 5.1 mix and downmixed stereo?

15. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit