What's new

DVD-Audio . . . Will the signal not pass through a digital connection? (1 Viewer)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I just got one of those new JVC DVD players that have progressive scan AND DVD Audio - I believe the model # is XV-SA75GD.
Anyway, I got it all hooked up, popped in my AIX Records Hi Rez Sampler Disc, and tried the DVD-Audio side. To my dismay, I got no sound. THe sound for all my DVD Video discs work fine, both DD and DTS, but for some reason, I get no sound when I play a DVD-A disc.
I have the DVD player hooked up to the receiver via TOSlink Optical cable. The player (and my receiver, too, thankfully), have external 5.1 input/outputs. Do I HAVE to use that to get DVD-A sound? Or is my player defective?
I've tried all of the various output settings on the player (PCM Only, DD/PCM stream, etc) but none seem to pass that DVD-A signal.
Anyone who owns this or a similar player want to comment?
------------------
"You advance yourself only by my good graces."

John M Miller

Stunt Coordinator
DVD-Audio will not work with a digital output. You need to use the 5.1 direct connection from your DVD player to get it to work. The major manufacturers did this to stave off counterfeiters.
laugh.gif

If your receiver does not have a 5.1 input, I'm afraid you're SOL.
frown.gif

------------------
Fellini's Le Notti di Cabiria
Link Removed

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The only way to get DVD-A or SACD sound is to use analog connections. Even if it did work over a digital connection your receiver couldn't decode the signal anyway.
It gets worse.
Most receivers don't do bass management on the 5.1 input, and most DVD-A players (all first generation) will not do bass management on DVD-A signals. That means that you will get full range signals to the 5 channels and a sub channel even if your speakers can't handle the low freqs.
That's why Outlaw is making the ICBM which I am planning on buying.
------------------
Philip Hamm
Pat's the best!™
AIM: PhilBiker

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I do not think that is correct. The RP91 will pass a 96/24 signal on the DVD-Video spec but no player will pass a DVD-A signal.
------------------
Philip Hamm
Pat's the best!™
AIM: PhilBiker

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
My JVC DVD-A player has some bass management settings, but I don't know if they work with the DVD-A signal.
Anyone know?
I'll be finding out tonight when I hook up the analog connections.
------------------
"You advance yourself only by my good graces."

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
The RP91 DOES pass a downconverted 48KHz two channel PCM signal through the digital connection. It works but sounds crappy compared to DVD-A and defeats the whole purpose IMHO.
------------------
The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
The RP91 definitely does not pass DVD-A digital out the digital output and unfortunatley it doesn't do bass management for DVD-A either.
P.S. Love your show on HBO! :)
Patrick
------------------
If you live in Vancouver, B.C. or the surrounding areas, take a look at the Local Home Theater Forum Meets section for a Vancouver meet.
My DVD Collection

donovan_chin

Stunt Coordinator
Eugene,
It DOES pass the signal through the digital outs... Trust me, I've done it!!! Unfortunately, it is a downsampled to 48KHz.
~Donovan

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
Its downconverted to 48KHz DD 2.0 IF the material is flagged as copyright protected, which I guess is just about everything.
Cheers
------------------
The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks