DVD-Audio . . . Will the signal not pass through a digital connection?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Rock, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

I just got one of those new JVC DVD players that have progressive scan AND DVD Audio - I believe the model # is XV-SA75GD.
    Anyway, I got it all hooked up, popped in my AIX Records Hi Rez Sampler Disc, and tried the DVD-Audio side. To my dismay, I got no sound. THe sound for all my DVD Video discs work fine, both DD and DTS, but for some reason, I get no sound when I play a DVD-A disc.
    I have the DVD player hooked up to the receiver via TOSlink Optical cable. The player (and my receiver, too, thankfully), have external 5.1 input/outputs. Do I HAVE to use that to get DVD-A sound? Or is my player defective?
    I've tried all of the various output settings on the player (PCM Only, DD/PCM stream, etc) but none seem to pass that DVD-A signal.
    Anyone who owns this or a similar player want to comment?
    ------------------
    "You advance yourself only by my good graces."

2. John M Miller

John M Miller Stunt Coordinator

DVD-Audio will not work with a digital output. You need to use the 5.1 direct connection from your DVD player to get it to work. The major manufacturers did this to stave off counterfeiters. [​IMG]
    If your receiver does not have a 5.1 input, I'm afraid you're SOL. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Fellini's Le Notti di Cabiria
    [​IMG]

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The only way to get DVD-A or SACD sound is to use analog connections. Even if it did work over a digital connection your receiver couldn't decode the signal anyway.
    It gets worse.
    Most receivers don't do bass management on the 5.1 input, and most DVD-A players (all first generation) will not do bass management on DVD-A signals. That means that you will get full range signals to the 5 channels and a sub channel even if your speakers can't handle the low freqs.
    That's why Outlaw is making the ICBM which I am planning on buying.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    Pat's the best!™
    AIM: PhilBiker

4. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

The only player that I know of that will pass the digital signal for DVD-Audio is the Panny RP91.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I do not think that is correct. The RP91 will pass a 96/24 signal on the DVD-Video spec but no player will pass a DVD-A signal.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    Pat's the best!™
    AIM: PhilBiker

6. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

My JVC DVD-A player has some bass management settings, but I don't know if they work with the DVD-A signal.
    Anyone know?
    I'll be finding out tonight when I hook up the analog connections.
    ------------------
    "You advance yourself only by my good graces."

7. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

8. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Stunt Coordinator

The RP91 DOES pass a downconverted 48KHz two channel PCM signal through the digital connection. It works but sounds crappy compared to DVD-A and defeats the whole purpose IMHO.
    ------------------
    The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.

9. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

The RP91 definitely does not pass DVD-A digital out the digital output and unfortunatley it doesn't do bass management for DVD-A either.
    P.S. Love your show on HBO! [​IMG]
    Patrick
    ------------------
    If you live in Vancouver, B.C. or the surrounding areas, take a look at the Local Home Theater Forum Meets section for a Vancouver meet.
    My DVD Collection

10. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

Eugene,
    It DOES pass the signal through the digital outs... Trust me, I've done it!!! Unfortunately, it is a downsampled to 48KHz.
    ~Donovan

11. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Stunt Coordinator

Its downconverted to 48KHz DD 2.0 IF the material is flagged as copyright protected, which I guess is just about everything.
    Cheers
    ------------------
    The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.