DVD-Audio vs SACD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike O, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Mike O

Mike O Auditioning

I'm looking to upgrad my DVD player to progressive scan. I also want the bet audio. What are the thoughts regarding SACD audio compared to DVD audio?

2. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

when in doubt, get both.

Pioneer dv-45a
    or
    Marantz dv-8300

i have the Pioneer and I think the world of it. I enjoy the warmth of SACD but DVD-A seems to have more agressive sub use...but it might just be the software I own....who knows. Oh yeah, one more hting, the Pioneer is significantly cheaper in price than the Marantz.

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, get both. Since you are starting fresh here and universal players are becoming more common, get both. The Pioneer Elite DV-45A, at around $500, is by far the least expensive universal player. After that, consider the Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai, Onkyo DV-SP800, and Yamaha DV-S2300 for around $1000 (the Yamaha unit isn't out yet, but should be soon). For $1200, consider the Integra DPS-8.3, which is a step-up model from the Onkyo 'SP800. The '8.3 is only available through brick-and-mortar dealers. Finally, there is the Marantz DV-8300 for around $1500, which is based on the now-discontinued Pioneer Elite DV-47A. Marantz supposedly upgraded the audio section of the '47A to make the '8300.

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Mike,
    I will be emailing Packy, the adiministrator, some material on a DVDA and SACD comparison today.
    I think he will post it in the Music section. I hope that helps you in your quest.
    You can tell by my signature line which I prefer. [​IMG]

6. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

7. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Thats a great list Lance, you dont happen to know of a similar one for SACD? most of the ones I ahve seen seem to be rather incomplete, or list upcomming titles witht he current ones, it leaves me rather confused [​IMG]

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, I believe www.highfidelityreview.com also has a list of available software. Lee makes a good suggestion of looking at www.acousticsounds.com and www.amusicdirect.com , as they both have a selection that is pretty representative of what is out there. Also check out www.elusivedisc.com .
    As an alternative to getting a universal player, you might want to consider separate units. You may find that a universal player will compromise the audio in one way or another. Some reviews of the Marantz '8300 and Pioneer Elite '47A and '47Ai have been critical of the SACD performance. For under $1000, you might to consider getting the Denon DVD-1600 to handle progressive-scan DVD (no chroma) and DVD-Audio and the Sony SCD-C222ES to handle SACD. Both are good CD players. You might find that this combination will perform better than a universal player. Also, the 'C222ES gives you the convenience of a changer. Just another option to consider.

10. Bill Blank

Bill Blank Stunt Coordinator

Keith,

What IS the chroma bug I keep hearing about in the universal players?

I too may soon upgrade my DVD player to one with progressive scan and the new universal players are very tempting. I realize separates would be the ideal but that'd mean selling my cherished Planet 2000 CD player to get a Sony 555ES.

BillB

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bill, the chroma bug is a picture issue related to DVD players in general, not just universal players. It is a rather common problem in which, in layman's terms, colors are not well defined. Scenes using a lot red color are often used to determine if a player shows the chroma bug. For more on this phenomenon, do a search here and on www.avsforum.com . Also, go to www.chromabug.com .
    I can understand that you would not want to part with the Rega Planet, but the 'C555ES is a very good CD player. The Planet and 'C555ES do have different sonic characters. I prefer the 'C555ES. [​IMG] By the way, do you have the Planet or the Planet 2000?

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bill, the only good thing to get out of the chromabug.com web site is the picture of the bug with the red streaks. That picture gives a somewhat extreme view of how the chroma bug is rendered in DVD players. Unfortunately, the person who claimed the chromabug.com domain name has still not done anything with the web site. However, the person is a member of avsforum.com and has been outspoken, to say the least, about the chroma bug. I'm sure you will come across his posts if you do a search on avsforum.com.

13. Bill Blank

Bill Blank Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info on the chroma bug. I've got the Planet 2000 BTW.

I just checked out the Integra 8.3 side by side with the Onkyo and their specs are identical. The Integra just has an extra set of component outputs, RS-232 port, 12v trigger, and IR repeater ports.

OT, how bout Larry Johnson? Sad to see him go this year!

Bill

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bill, no problem. Glad to hear you are happy with the Planet 2000. It seems that Integra components are often very similar to the Onkyo counterparts. With Integra, you usually get better warranty coverage, such as three years instead of one year. Integra components may also have some better internal parts. Also, in some cases, the Integra component will have a detachable power cord, whereas the Onkyo counterpart will have a fixed cord. In the case of the universal players, I believe the Onkyo 'SP800 has a detachable cord, though. Given that the Integra '8.3 retails for just $200 more than the Onkyo 'SP800, there probably is little or no difference in performance.

Yeah, how about Larry Johnson? LJ for the Heisman! I had no idea he was that good, but how could anyone really know? Penn State had gone with running back by committee his previous three years. He's a great back, as he blends speed and power.