What's new

DVD/Audio/Visual/PC setup (1 Viewer)

saline77

Auditioning
Real Name
aline
Hi, We have a Panasonic Viera TH 50PZ85u purchased earlier this year. It has been happily connected to an Onkyo TX- SR605 receiver (2 HDMI in, 1 HDMI out), a Phillips DVD player (1 HDMI out), a Direct TV HD satellite box, and HSU speakers all under the control of a Logitech Harmony One universal remote. Everything was working fine until our son kindly gave us a Dell Inspiron computer with which we can now get internet access (through a Lynxsys wireless connection using the Panasonic as a monitor), and play Blu-Ray dvds. This has required a change in the cables and connections that has rendered the Phillips DVD player inactive, since there are only two HDMI outputs on the Onkyo and the computer now occupies one of them. Can you see any way that we could run everything together and still have the Logitech in control? We would prefer to keep the Phillips functioning because it plays regular DVDs and DVD+Rs and is accessible by the Logitech remote. Any way to do it all with only HDMI connections? Digital?(what is that digital out/digital in for, anyway?) Composite?(sounds degrading). As you can tell, we are a little electronically dysfunctional, but comfortable enough to mess around with plugs and cables. Thanks, Aline

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You can run HDMI from the Phillips dvd player, straight to the tv for video, and run an optical or digital coax, from the Phillips to the Onkyo for audio. The Harmony can handle the switching differences easily enough. You'll just have to go to the site, and redo a little and update your remote.

saline77

Auditioning
Real Name
aline
That's a thought. A little tricky sneaking another HDMI cable behind the wall, but doable. Do you think the A&V will stay synchronized? Are those two cables you mentioned (optical or digital), essentially the same? Thanks for your help.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
They serve the same purpose, but physically different. Digital coax is an RCA type cable, with wire in it. An optical cable is a fiber optic cable. These two, along with HDMI, are the only digital connections, for receiving Dolby Digital 5.1/6.1 and DTS 5.1/6.1 surround.

I, personally, have never had a synchronization problem with optical or digital coax connection. I think that most people that have had sync problems, had them with HDMI connections. I may be wrong though.............
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Good luck!

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I am running my PC directly into the TV via the VGA in, I could also do a DVI to HDMI but honestly there is no improvement over VGA.

My picture is razor sharp and crystal clear and it did not take up any of my HDMI's on my receiver. I just use the TV remote to switch inputs for the PC. The receiver does the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newyork333
Recent bookmarks