What's new

DVD-Audio users: How do you deal with the display? (1 Viewer)

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
New to DVD-A and I'm wondering how members deal with playing music & having to navigate menus through the display (TV/Monitor,etc.). Do you keep your display on the entire time while playing music or shut it off once you've got your disc playing?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I was not able to find any results through a search here. I'd appreciate any tips/suggestions.

-thanks!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Piers, I leave the display on sometimes, but most of the time, I turn it off using the "Video Off" button on the player remote. On Warner DVD-Audio discs, I can toggle between the stereo and multi-channel tracks without the TV by pressing the "Group" button on the remote. Unfortunately, this doesn't work on discs from some other labels.

For the record, I have a Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player (first-generation model).

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Piers, My DVD-A player (Pioneer Elite DV-47A) is in the bedroom system on the other side of the wall to the main system. I have it going in to the main system as well and the bedroom system. I don't want to turn on my Sharp 9000 projector (where the bulbs are not cheap either) when I want to play a disc, so I bought a small 5 (or 5.5) inch black and white set with rear video inputs at Target for $25 and run a long video cable from the other room to it and it is close enough to my chair that I can use the menu and about half the time I leave it on. I was going to buy a 13 inch color set for $69 but it would look too big for where I wanted to put it. There are some menus where the color differences are somewhat of a problem for B&W. You may not want the same solution as I do as I could care less about the on screen stuff when I listen to music. A decent CD booklet is fine for more info or if I really want to know more there are sites on the web that have information about the artists and albums and lyrics.

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
I don't have my player (Panasonic RP91) hooked up to a TV at all. I just put the disc in the tray, press the 'play' button, and listen. If I want to listen to the stereo mix, I tell my player to read Group 2, Track whatever.

I listen to my Warner Brothers DVD-A discs (Deep Purple/Machine Head, Fleetwood Mac/Rumours, Eagles/Hotel California, Doobie Brothers / Captain & Me) in that way. Navigating through the AIX Records' "Beethoven's 6th", however, is murder. I just muck around until the right thing comes on.

Hats off to Warner Brothers for making their DVD-A titles easy to navigate without a TV. (Moreover, hats off to SACD for keeping navigation identical to that of conventional CDs! )

-JNS

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jagan, I have thought about adding an inexpensive DVD-Audio player to my second stereo system where I have no TV. However, the inconsistent authoring of DVD-Audio discs has convinced me not to. If I bought a DVD-Audio player for this system, I could play Warner discs without difficulty, but others in my collection would be too frustrating to deal with. As a result, I will just stick with the player in my main system, where I have a TV.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
just put the disc in the tray, press the 'play' button, and listen.
Same here, I just keep pressing PLAY until I get something. That will get you the surround mix on most DVD-A (well, Warner titles at least).

The R.E.M. Reveal DVD-A will just start playing by itself without me having to do anything.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Depends on the disc. Some play just fine without the menu, some are harder. Some DVD-A's have the lyric's (like Queen), so I like that. Usually, I get things started and then turn off my TV, though.

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks all!

I appreciate the responses to my post! As a newbie to this DVD-A medium, hearing from you is a huge help to better understanding options exist.

Its clear to me, that I have to put in some time this wkdto figure out the various remote/playback options on my player (JVC SA602/Multi-region). Right now its an odd experience to have the TV in order to navagiate the menus for the music!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I just leave the TV on. What's the big deal? Sometimes, they have pretty pictures while the songs are playing.

NP: Mozart Requiem, SACD

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

It's not really a big deal, but I am too used to the simplicity of plopping the disc in the player and hitting play.

Shawn said:

I just keep pressing PLAY until I get something. That will get you the surround mix on most DVD-A (well, Warner titles at least).
The problem for me is that I have my DVD-Audio player split between stereo and surround-sound systems and prefer to use it in stereo. Finding the stereo track without a TV can be quite difficult on some discs.

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
I just leave the TV on. What's the big deal?
For me, the deal is having to hear the 15kHz whine of the TV while trying to listen to hi-resolution music. Of course, I suppose I could always turn off the TV once I navigate to the appropriate spot on the disc.
It's not a big deal, but TV whine is annoying. Luckily computer monitors whine at a much higher frequency I can't hear. :)
-JNS

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
I usually check out the lyrics or pictures when I first get the disc, but after I know what's there, I usually turn off the TV, slouch back, kick up my feet and close my eyes. The exception to that is when I clean house on the weekend I play the Metallica dvd-a full bore!

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I sometimes leave the TV on but when I really want a good listen I will turn it off. I have found that I can take in the audio expierience much better when I have the TV off.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I don't want to turn on my Sharp 9000 projector (where the bulbs are not cheap either) when I want to play a disc,
I will be looking at other options, as I will also be going FP soon. Maybe a small 5"-6" LCD panel mounted in my side wall 6 feet from me.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks