DVD-Audio users: How do you deal with the display?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Piers C, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Piers C

Piers C Stunt Coordinator

New to DVD-A and I'm wondering how members deal with playing music & having to navigate menus through the display (TV/Monitor,etc.). Do you keep your display on the entire time while playing music or shut it off once you've got your disc playing?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I was not able to find any results through a search here. I'd appreciate any tips/suggestions.

-thanks!

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Piers, I leave the display on sometimes, but most of the time, I turn it off using the "Video Off" button on the player remote. On Warner DVD-Audio discs, I can toggle between the stereo and multi-channel tracks without the TV by pressing the "Group" button on the remote. Unfortunately, this doesn't work on discs from some other labels.

For the record, I have a Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player (first-generation model).

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Piers, My DVD-A player (Pioneer Elite DV-47A) is in the bedroom system on the other side of the wall to the main system. I have it going in to the main system as well and the bedroom system. I don't want to turn on my Sharp 9000 projector (where the bulbs are not cheap either) when I want to play a disc, so I bought a small 5 (or 5.5) inch black and white set with rear video inputs at Target for $25 and run a long video cable from the other room to it and it is close enough to my chair that I can use the menu and about half the time I leave it on. I was going to buy a 13 inch color set for $69 but it would look too big for where I wanted to put it. There are some menus where the color differences are somewhat of a problem for B&W. You may not want the same solution as I do as I could care less about the on screen stuff when I listen to music. A decent CD booklet is fine for more info or if I really want to know more there are sites on the web that have information about the artists and albums and lyrics.

4. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

I don't have my player (Panasonic RP91) hooked up to a TV at all. I just put the disc in the tray, press the 'play' button, and listen. If I want to listen to the stereo mix, I tell my player to read Group 2, Track whatever.

I listen to my Warner Brothers DVD-A discs (Deep Purple/Machine Head, Fleetwood Mac/Rumours, Eagles/Hotel California, Doobie Brothers / Captain & Me) in that way. Navigating through the AIX Records' "Beethoven's 6th", however, is murder. I just muck around until the right thing comes on.

Hats off to Warner Brothers for making their DVD-A titles easy to navigate without a TV. (Moreover, hats off to SACD for keeping navigation identical to that of conventional CDs! )

-JNS

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jagan, I have thought about adding an inexpensive DVD-Audio player to my second stereo system where I have no TV. However, the inconsistent authoring of DVD-Audio discs has convinced me not to. If I bought a DVD-Audio player for this system, I could play Warner discs without difficulty, but others in my collection would be too frustrating to deal with. As a result, I will just stick with the player in my main system, where I have a TV.

6. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

7. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

Depends on the disc. Some play just fine without the menu, some are harder. Some DVD-A's have the lyric's (like Queen), so I like that. Usually, I get things started and then turn off my TV, though.

8. Piers C

Piers C Stunt Coordinator

Thanks all!

I appreciate the responses to my post! As a newbie to this DVD-A medium, hearing from you is a huge help to better understanding options exist.

Its clear to me, that I have to put in some time this wkdto figure out the various remote/playback options on my player (JVC SA602/Multi-region). Right now its an odd experience to have the TV in order to navagiate the menus for the music!

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I just leave the TV on. What's the big deal? Sometimes, they have pretty pictures while the songs are playing.

NP: Mozart Requiem, SACD

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike,

It's not really a big deal, but I am too used to the simplicity of plopping the disc in the player and hitting play.

Shawn said:

11. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

12. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

I usually check out the lyrics or pictures when I first get the disc, but after I know what's there, I usually turn off the TV, slouch back, kick up my feet and close my eyes. The exception to that is when I clean house on the weekend I play the Metallica dvd-a full bore!

13. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I sometimes leave the TV on but when I really want a good listen I will turn it off. I have found that I can take in the audio expierience much better when I have the TV off.

14. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter