DVD Audio, Toshiba, Panasonic. ect..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Ball, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

Whats the best player and why? I'm interested in DVD Audio. See my equipment list if it helps.

Craig

2. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

It' not the best but Ive ben happy with the Toshiba 4700

3. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

Thanks BobbyT, but can you tell me what It's missing that doesn't make it the so called best? I know it would be bettter than my Sony DVD player I have now, and I wanted to add muti-channel DVD-Audio. Is It good with both?

Craig

4. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

The Toshiba 5700 Adds HDCD decoding. Both players are progressive scan. Since I don't use progressive I can tell you both players have one of the best interlaced pictures you can get without spending a lot more money.

5. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

BobbyT, How does it sound with DVD-Audio? Have you tried it yet? As far as HDCD goes that's definately not a conceren of mine.

Craig

6. Kevin McCurdy

Kevin McCurdy Stunt Coordinator

Craig,

I know you posted about Toshiba and Panasonic for DVD-A, but have you looked at the Pioneer Elite 47A? I saw one yesterday in our local Tweeter store. It's new and has both DVD-A and SACD playback capabilities.

7. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

What are our budget limitations?

Pioneer DV-47A has an MSRP of US$1200.

Toshiba SD-5700 streets at US$300

Toshiba SD-4700 streets at US$250

Other options worth considering:

Panasonic RP-91N streets at less than US$500 via mail order

Denon DV-1600 MSRP US$600 (not yet out -- due soon.)

JVC XV-SA75 streets out around US$300

I'm probably missing a suggestion or two, but this expands the field a little bit.

Regards,

8. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

Thanks Kevin I'll take a look at the Pioneer. John I'd say MAX $1.000, but I don't have component video on my T.V. so i'm not to sure if the progressive scan differences between the players is a huge issue to me right now. I'd assume after all my reading that both the Toshiba and Panasonics were better picture quality than my existing dvd player, and wanted to add DVD-A while i was at it. It seems like there are more DVD-A disc's out there than SACD, but again I could be wrong.

Craig

9. Kevin McCurdy

Craig,

If you haven't done so already take a look over on the Audio/Video discussions board. There's a thread discussing the 47a.

10. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

The 4700 sounds awesome with DVD audio.

11. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

I agree, the Toshiba 4700 is awesome with DVD-audio.
    Hard for me to see how it gets much better going up to a $1000 player from a $250 one [​IMG] .
    Spend the extra $750 on upgraded speakers or a new TV!

12. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

Thanks guys, my last concern is do you think DVD-A Is here to stay? I suppose it's worth the risk because it's still better than my stand alone DVD player.

Craig

13. Kevin McCurdy

Craig,
    Take a look at the available titles on DVD-Audio to see if you still want to purchase it at this point. I believe this website http://www.dvdaudiopreview.com/main.html has a good list to give you an idea of what's available.
    I have the Panasonic RP91 and find it's picture and sound quality is really good but I've never directly compared it to anything else to know where it truely stands among it's competition. The main reason I bought it was based on the comments I read on this board and for watching DVD's using progressive scan. The DVD-A section was a bonus for me.
    The one thing I've learned since buying this unit is that for DVD Audio there are only a few titles released that I like and not many new titles have been released in the time that I've had this unit (approx. 6 months). It may be different for you based on your music preferences, but it's something else to consider. Good luck.