DVD Audio to Relaunch?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Interesting article on DVD Audio's future at Stereophile website. Seems they are possibly going to relaunch the whole thing...read more at http://www.stereophile.com/shownews.cgi?1412

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

The company I work with develops watermarking technology. :b

Oh well, at least it's not the division I work for, which does something else entirely.

This article, like so many others, assumes that DVD-A is trying to replace CDs (the complaints about it not being portable, for example). Is this an accurate way of interpreting their plans?

Like I've said before: if they really put everything they had into it, they could make DVD-A huge. They just have to actually do it.

4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

The relaunch has been under consideration for some time. The European (or at least German relaunch) is rumored to be August 26th -- although I can't cite a reliable source. In my last discussion with some of the people that "own" DVD-A at WB I was told major things will occur by year's end but that's an indeterminate period.
    Here's High Fidelity Review's take on the presentation with respect to A/B/X and watermark audibility:

5. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

6. John Kotches

Jagan,

They are pointing out how difficult it is to hear the watermark.

I suspect that microphones are more sensitive than many humans ears.

Regards,

7. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Re - audible watermarks:

That's got to be one of the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time (and working in a corporate environment, I hear LOTS of dumb things every day!) Who's going to care if an analog copy came from a DVD-A, vs. a CD, vinyl, or off the radio? I can see it now:

"Hey, Frank, c'mere. Check out this MP3 I downloaded from Joe Schmoe's website, it has the DVD-A watermark. This other copy I downloaded from Jane Smith's site doesn't. I guess we have to arrest Joe first because he ripped his MP3 from an analog copy of a DVD-A"...

KJP

8. John Kotches

Kevin,

THe watermark (and other facilities) prevent a direct digital copy for the moment.

Regards,

9. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

I have 6 DVD-A's and would be hard pressed to consider more than 6 of the rest of the catalog. Is that anyway to run a railroad. The software companies need to get out the product.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I'll be watching the developments, if there are any. I'm waiting for a flood of titles on DVD-Audio. Things have been far too quiet this year.

11. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee, sad to say, I don't think Warner has tried too hard. [​IMG]

13. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Hey, anything to help this format along would be great.

It seems to me like any argument that is made for DVD-A's compatibility and integration with DVD players can be made for SACD and CD players. That is, if manufacturers, particularly Sony, pushed their cheaper CD players that play SACD, that would be helpful. So, I guess it works both ways. Both formats simply have different roads to travel on to reach success if they were smart about it and really cared.

See, I can't be biased here- I'm not audiophile enough to judge about which is sonically "better," and I enjoy them both equally. Every weekly trip to Best Buy often finds me leaving the store with one title of each format.

This past weekend it was
    SACD: Mahler 5th Symphony (thank you Best Buy for carrying non-Sony titles, finally). What an astounding disc! Because I'm collecting any high-res classical I can get my hands on, I've actually been listening to Mahler. I already had the 1st, 2nd, and 6th symphony on SACD. The scary thing is, I was actually able to kind of get what I was hearing. I think I'm becoming acclimated to the confusion that is Mahler.

DVD-A:
    NP: Bela Fleck, Bluegrass Sessions- Yee-ha!