What's new

DVD-Audio Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I'm gonna be spending most of the weekend in the car, so I figured I'd go pick up a DVD-A disc to keep me entertained for at least some time, trying to decide between Led's "How The West Was Won", live Rat Pack at Villa Venice, and The Who's "Tommy", anyone have any comments on either release?

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Do you own an Acura? Otherwise, I don't know of any cars with DVD-A playback abilities, so you might be disappointed. If you have a DVD-V player, though, you'll have access to the DD and/or DTS surround mixes. In that case, any of those is likely to be entertaining, though my personal pick would be the Rat Pack gang. Have a fun weekend.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I don't have a new TL, however I did upgrade the stock player on my WRX to a Panasonic CQ-DVR909U, which does support DVD-Audio (as well as DVD-Video), I only have 3 DVD-A's as of now, Marvin Gaye Collection, Elton John Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, and Steely Dan Everything Must Go, the headunit has a built-in center speaker so I've got the 5.1 set to go and I love it.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'd get "Tommy". I've heard the video concert in DD of the Led Zep release and it's also very good. Don't know anything about The Rat Pack but have heard/read good things. Others to consider in the future would be Night Fly and Kamakiriad by Donald Fagen and In Absentia by Porcupine Tree.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Good stuff, I plan to get them all over the next few weeks, the quality on these things is addicting.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
What are your musical tastes?

For recording quality, you won't get much better than the releases from AIX Records.

OTOH, if you're more a fan of rock then that's another story.

Cheers,

Manus

Second Unit
For an interesting listen try either of the Blue Man Group's 2 discs , for Road Rock try 3Doors Down and for relaxing simplicity try Natalie Merchant 'Tigerlily'. For a more dance-oriented style try the new KAJE Dvd-A/CD disc.

M

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
If you want to give your car's subwoofer a solid workout, try out Emerson, Lake and Palmer's Brain Salad Surgery. Crank it up if you're stuck in a snowbank and the vibrations will push you out.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Manus,

I was really disappointed with The Complex. For one thing, the compression was just terrible. Very little dynamic range.

Also, I think that The Complex does better as the complete presentation including the show's visuals. It doesn't translate as well to just music as Audio does.

Regards,

Manus

Second Unit
John,
Didn't sound that horrible to my overworked ears ;) . Maybe on a road trip compression might not not be such an important issue ? I find them to still be an interesting listen either way , at least until the perfect HD-DVD or Bluray :D

I know its not Dvd-A , but if you can it would be worth giving a listen to Peter Gabriels 'Play' Dvd or Eric Clapton's 'Crossroads' 2-discer , my current listening favs.

Safe driving , either way,
M

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks