DVD-Audio single included with Dishwalla's *Opaline* CD.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Sep 21, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I just read this in the new audiorevolution.com e-mail newsletter. A DVD-Audio single of Dishwalla's "Somewhere in the Middle" is included with the Opaline CD. That's great marketing.
    Is this old news? I know that Opaline came out on CD and DVD-Audio awhile back (same date). Has the Opaline CD come with a DVD-Audio single from the beginning or is this a new promotion? Audiorevolution.com doesn't say one way or the other.
    According to the audiorevolution.com article, the DVD-Audio single for "Somewhere in the Middle" has a 5.1-channel mix with the music video, "three different audio mixes", commentary from the band, and a preview of the Opaline DVD-Audio disc. Hopefully a high-resolution stereo mix is included among those "three different audio mixes".
    Here is a link to the audiorevolution.com article:
    http://www.audiorevolution.com/news/...alladvda.shtml

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

As I think about it, this is a potential huge advantage for DVD-Audio over SACD. A lot of people obviously still buy CDs, and a DVD-Audio single makes a lot of sense. Now, a lot of people don't have DVD-Audio players, but many have DVD-Video players. The Dishwalla DVD-Audio single is said to be backwards compatible with DVD-Video players, so many people getting this disc will be able to play it in some way. Perhaps some will be intrigued by the improved fidelity offered by DVD-Audio, assuming it is suitably advertised on the single, and will buy a DVD-Audio player. The great thing is that the single has a DVD-Video portion to entice them. The other thing is that if a huge Dishwalla fan wants to hear the entire Opaline album in 5.1 and have all the video content, he or she has to get the DVD-Audio disc. He or she may get a DVD-Audio player as well. The inclusion of DVD-Audio singles could have a positive effect on sales of DVD-Audio hardware and software. Will it be significant? Maybe not. We shall see. Hopefully Warner will do more of this to promote DVD-Audio.

SACD can't benefit from this sort of strategy as readily. At present, there are no SACD/DVD-Video hybrid discs. SACD is backwards-compatible with the CD, not DVD-Video. So, it comes back to the record labels, including Sony, providing hybrid discs, but for many consumers, the CD layer is enough. With the Dishwalla DVD-Audio single, Warner is taking advantage of the popularity of the DVD-Video format first and is hoping that people will jump to DVD-Audio. SACD does not have a similar advantage, as I see it. If Sony were to include SACD layers on all of its new CD releases, where does that get people? There is no extra format on the disc for them to readily try at home. They already have CD players. The point is that for the buyer of the Opaline CD, the free DVD-Audio single has backwards-compatible information that they can likely play at home -- DVD-Video. All the backers of SACD can hope for is that consumers will see the SACD logo on the package or disc and get curious. Unfortunately, consumers have to buy a new player to experience SACD. With a backwards-compatible DVD-Video layer on the DVD-Audio single, people can get a taste of the new format without buying anything. Very cool.

3. Michael St. Clair

Is this a 3" disc?

4. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

This is the exact same thing that was done the with Boz Scaggs' Dig cd. The difference is that EMI included the entire album as a bonus dvd-a in a nice book style case format.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael,

I'm sure it's a 5" disc. 3" discs are rarely used these days, though "Pocket CD-Rs" are becoming more widely available.

Micahel,

I do remember reading that about the Boz Scaggs album. Is/was the DVD-Audio disc free?

6. Michael St. Clair

7. Micahel C

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael,

Interesting. Still, my guess is that the Dishwalla DVD-Audio single is a 5" disc.

Micahel,

Thanks. Every time I visit this board, I come away with a bunch of new music to check out. It never ends!

9. Micahel C

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Micahel, yeah, I am here so much that I don't always remember what my fiancee looks like, and I can't take the bright sunlight. Oh well. It's all about the music. [​IMG]