DVD Audio: Should I take the leap?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by greggor, Dec 11, 2001.

1. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    I've been going back and forth over whether or not I should invest in this format so I'm hoping some of my fellow HTF members can help me decide. I guess I still have a few concerns regarding the future of DVD Audio.

Is DVD Audio the format of the future which will eventually replace CD's? I know this is a tough question to answer so opinions are definately welcome here.

How would you rate the sound in comparison to standard CD's, and DVD's?

I have also noticed a limited supply of music available on DVD Audio. Although this list does appear to be growing.

Finally I would appreciate some recommendations for a DVD Audio player in the sub $1000.00 price range.

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Greg

2. Chris Madalena

Chris Madalena Stunt Coordinator

Hi Greg,

I took a chance on dvd-a and I'm not sorry I did it. You for sure will encounter the dvd-a vs. sacd argument. I went w/dvd audio because I got a great deal on my player, and at the time Sony was not offering multi-channel sacd titles.

As far as replacing cd's, only time will tell. I feel dvd audio sounds much better than a cd. Plus the ability to listen to multi-channel music is very cool. But I suspect cd's will be around for a very long time.

You can spend a couple hundred bucks on a dvd player that has dvd-a capability, or you can spend a lot more. If I was going to buy a new one tomorrow I'd get a Panasonic RP-91. It's an awesome dvd player with a host of great features and it's affordable. You can find them on-line for under 500.00. I'd do a search in the forum and I'm sure you'll find a ton of info.

Good luck,

Chris

3. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Look at the current software available on DVD-A. Do any offerings appeal to you? If so, then go for it!

Otherwise, why pay now when you can pay much less for much more later? Technology keeps getting better and cheaper. Wait until the software you want exists.

Martin.

4. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Well Greg, I would definately jump on the dvd-audio bandwagon. It is such a great format. It sounds alot better than cd. Hopefully it does replace the cd one of these day's but that's not going to be for along time. Alot of people,who should know, have no clue what it is. I was talking to a service rep at Monster Cable and he had no idea what I was talking about. I don't know what kind of sytem you have but if you have a widescreen tv with progressive scan inputs, then there is absolutely no reason to purchase a progressive scan dvd player with dvd-audio now. You will get a killer picture with dvd-audio as a bonus. And I really don't agree with Martin.You can buy so much for so litlle now that there is no point in waiting. I have seen progressive scan dvd-audio players by JVC that are $259! How much less expensive can it get?

5. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

I had the mindset to buy the best dvd player I could find...the Panasonic 91. As an added bonus, it came with DVD-A!

DVD-A is certainaly a huge improvement over both cd's and 5.1 music dvds. It's not a big investment if you consider that it's only a couple hundred dollars over an entry level dvd player.

Plus...it's fun to be the first on the block with a new toy!

6. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Thanks for the reply's,

Wow! I had no idea the Panny RP91 was so inexpensive. I was considering purchasing a DVD-A player only, but for the price of the Panny I mind as well upgrade my DVD player and get DVD-A at the same time.

Just one more question. If I purchase a DVD player with DVD-A will DVD Audio work just using the optical output to the reciever or will I have to use the 5.1 inputs plus the optical cable?

With the integration of DVD-A on DVD players I'm thinking the popularity of DVD-A may just explode in the very near future.

Thanks,

Greg

7. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

First, I don't think there are any DVD-A only players. SACD goes that way but not DVD-A. Second, you'll have to use the 5.1 connection and the digital connection. No way around it currently.

I recently purchased a Pan. RA-60. Its similar to the RV-31 and includes DVD-A and only costs a bit over $200. I went this route because I hope to find a good universal player in the next year or so. That way if SACD or DVD-A wins, I'll be covered either way. Pioneer has a player that will be coming in the not to distant future that I believe will do everything, and cost around $1500. So we should see more like that before long.

When I chose to go this route, I considered that I wouldn't mind having a newer player to replace my 1st gen. Sony DVP-S3000 and supplement my Malata (which I don't have a lot of faith in). But I didn't want to spend too much because of other things going on. I had hoped to wait til the format war settles, and by me a player that I could keep for many years. Ultimately it was the arrival of some Grateful Dead albums that caused me to make the leap now. So I chose to go cheap, and then in the long term I'll buy something with all the bells and whistles.

As for the sonic improvements, they're amazing. Its so crisp and clean and full and just wonderful. Until the producers really figure out how to use multi-channel it may be hit and miss on some titles, but rest assured there are some good ones already. I love the Dead albums, they're the best thing I've listened to. I've got a few others that sound really good also, but they're not really stuff I get into much, so I've not spent much time listening to them.

8. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Thanks Keith,

I think I confused DVD-A with SACD. Thanks for the clarification. Too bad there aren't any players in the sub $1,000.00 dollar price range capable of doing everything.

Greg