What's new

dvd-audio setup question (1 Viewer)

MitchJS

Grip
HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO EVERYONE OUT THERE!
I have a Panny RP91 dvd player, and I want to set it up to play dvd-audio discs. My current audio connection is a digital optical (toslink) cable to a Marantz SR8000 receiver. I'm under the assumption that to hear all the benefits of a dvd-audio disc that I also have to connect analaog rca plugs from dvd player to the receiver. I believe I need 6 plugs for my 5 speakers and 1 subwoofer. Is this correct? I can play a dvd-audio disc with DTS surround sound on my current setup, but I won't hear the added effects (higher frequencies?) that make the disc dvd-audio. Is this also correct?

Assuming the above info. is correct, do I also have to make setup menu changes on both the dvd player and the receiver in order to hear the full dvd-audio benefits? I was reading on this forum and in my dvd manual that you have to change the settings for digital audio output and pcm down conversion. It would be helpful if someone could go over ALL the dvd and receiver setup changes that are necessary for dvd-audio playback. It seems like a lot of effort to make these changes every time you want to play dvds and cds that are of different formats. Is it worth the effort?

Should I continue to play regular dvds and music cds through my current digital optical connection and my current menu setup or the new setup for the dvd-audio?

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Mitch you are correct in that you will need 3 pair of analog cables, or 6 single, either way. There are some companies making special cables for multi channel that have all 6 cables bundled in one nice cable to reduce the clutter, but they are more expensive. I don't remember the company names, but someone else will know.

I'm not familiar with the 91, but the manual should tell you what setting in the menu to use, or it may be automatic. I'm sure someone will come along and tell you for sure. I have a Toshiba and I have to go into the dvd player menu to change.

You will have to select Multi Channel in on your receiver. Again, I am not familiar with yours, but my previous Denon and current Pioneer 45TX has a simple button on the remote that says Multi Channel. Check your manual.

You can still watch your movies on DVD with the digital connection and utilize the various modes and digital bass management.

I am sure you will be pleased with the results. I don't know what kind of speakers you have, but you may benefit from the ICBM from Outlaw. It's an analog bass management device that costs $250. You can do a search on ICBM and find out more about it. I don't want to overwhelm you.

David Judah

Screenwriter
It's not complicated, Mitch. Your receiver will do the switching between the multi-channel analog and digital connections and the RP-91 will know what kind of disc you are playing(DVD-A & DVD-V).

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks