What's new

Dvd-audio & sacd are true multichannel formats: a DSP is NOT the same thing! (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
For people new to surround music - a thread from the past.

This format isn't quite dead yet, and there are still hundreds of titles you can still buy right now, though the cases are probably a little dusty. ;)

And just in case you just skim through the thread, at least be aware of this: according to many many customer reviews I've read over the years, many if not most of Silverline/5.1 Entertainment Group dvd-audio and Sony's DualDisc surround mixes seem to be produced using a DSP-based system. But whatever the process used, according to those reports (I've owned two Silverlines like this myself) these mixes almost always just have fakey ambience or randomly appearing effects in the rear channels.....just like some of the lower-quality DSP systems generate. Too bad, because much of the music is really *good*.

I.e. don't judge the entire format of surround music by these titles.

If you want to get an idea of what GOOD mixes are available, go here and scroll down to "Surround Music Polls":

QuadraphonicQuad Forums

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks