DVD-Audio receiver requirement...true or false

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Arthur Legardo, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

I was phoning around a few reputable A/V stores trying to track down a Panasonic DVD-RP91 today when I got into a converseration with one of the salespeople about DVD-Audio. He mentioned that in order to take full advantage of the DVD-Audio format the connected receiver must be "DVD-Audio Certifide" whereby its 6 channel inputs are capable of handling a 196KHz/24bit signal. I know DVD-Audio software is hard to come by, but is 196/24 a requirement for DVD-Audio?
    Thanks,
    Arthur
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

2. Scott O'Keeffe

Scott O'Keeffe Stunt Coordinator

6 channel ins are the only requirement that I know of. If the receiver was receiving a digital feed (which we know can't happen with DVD-A), then some type of digital conversion from the receiver would be needed. However, we are talking analog ins; the RP-91 is decoding the DVD-A and sending an analog signal.
    Hope that helps.
    Scott

3. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

He may have been referring to some of the specs necessary to get the maximum performance from DVD-A, but they are not necessary for basic playback.
    To be honest, very few people have equipment (or ears!) that can take full advantage of the improvement possible with SACD and DVD-A. That doesn't mean it can't sound better than CD, just that there are other limiting factors.

4. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

Actually, I did a little research and found that the DVD Audio spec is "capable of recording an audio signal with a frequency range of 0 to 96KHz with a dynamic range of 144dB" and a maximum sample rate of 24 bits so I guess that's what the salesperson was talking about. Luckily, the receiver that I'm going to buy (Denon AVR-3802) in the next couple of weeks is falls within that spec.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

5. Scott Gaffney

Just another to agree with the above posts. No special "certification" needed on receiver to use DVD-Audio. I am happily using my RP-91 on my Outlaw. As long as you have 5.1 inputs you are fine.
    sdg
    ------------------

6. DanG

DanG Stunt Coordinator

quote: Originally posted by: Arthur Legardo
    I know DVD-Audio software is hard to come by, but is 196/24 a requirement for DVD-Audio?
    [/quote]
    As other posters have stated, all you need are 6 channels of analogue inputs on your A/V receiver.
    The 192kHZ sample rate is not intended for 6ch distribution. If a disc was produced with that kind of track, it would be 2ch only. The 91 will downconvert any frequencies above 176.4 kHz to 48kHz.
    Of more immediate concern, will your surround speakers be able to handle the large energies of DVD-A multi-channel outputs. Here surrounds are no longer relegated to broadcasting ambient sounds but can broadcast the same signals that your mains will. DVD-A on the 91 does not have bass management for DVD-A analogue 6ch output.
    Your options are the Outlaw ICBM, upgrading your surrounds, preferably to ones that can handle bass energies and power levels that your mains do or keeping a real careful eye on your volume levels.
    I chose the second option and upgraded my surrounds.
    [Edited last by DanG on August 09, 2001 at 09:41 AM]