What's new

DVD-Audio question... (1 Viewer)

Ryan Libby

Stunt Coordinator
Just a quick question...Do I need 192Khz/ 24bit to get what I'm supposed out of DVD-Audio discs. If so, any suggestions on a reciever with 192 Khz/ 24bit DACs in all of its channels. I only need a 5.1 setup, and I would like to find something around $1000. Thanks for any input.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Ryan,

For DVD-Audio (the playback format) you need a DVD-Audio player -- only a couple of products can pass the DVD-A bitstream digitally, and they are far beyond your stated price point ($8000 to $40,000+).

Can you clarify what you're looking for, a receiver or a DVD-Audio player?

Regards,

Ryan Libby

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry about the poor post. I'm looking for a reciever. I see some recievers have 192 kHz/ 24bit DACs on none, some or all channels. My question is if th better DACs make a difference, especially with DVD-Audio discs. And if they do, could anyone recommend a near $1K reciever that has 192 kHz/ 24bit DACs on all channels. Again, I'm only going to use a 5.1 setup if anyone is wondering. Thank you, this source of help is very appreciated.

Larry B

Screenwriter
Ryan:

To my knowledge, no DVA-A player will pass a digital signal, due to fears of pirating. (This may change at some point in the future.) As such, all processing will be done in the DVD-A player, which will then pass an analogue signal to the receiver. (The receiver thus does not do any processing.) John K. will correct me if I have erred.

Larry

Ryan Libby

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Larry. The reason I asked is because some salesman at a store was trying to tell me that one will get less from their DVD-Audio discs without 192kHz/ 24bit. That salesman appears to have been found wanting. Are these better converters worth spending the money for? Thanks Again.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
lemme clarify a little: since no DVD-A players pass the signal digitally yet (the Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai will be the first later on this yr), it wont matter what DACs are in your receiver cuz the DVD-A signal will already be converted to analog and will never touch the DACs in the receiver. the decoding takes place in the DVD-Audio player ONLY, so ONLY the DACs in the DVD-A player need to be 24/192 to take advantage of the full resolution of the format.

since there is no 24/192 material passed digitally yet, it's really not that important to get the higher sampling DACs. some may claim a little wider soundstage and such, but the difference is minimal (if at all). your findings may differ.

hope this clears things up a little.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Thomas and Ryan
I'm sorry to say you're both incorrect.
Denon 9000 --> 5803 receiver passes decoded MLP data digitally via Denon Link. DenonLink recently received 4C approval, and can now pass all DVD-A material, even material flagged as copy protected.
Meridian 598 --> 568.2 or 861 processor passes decoded MLP data via MHR Smartlink. MHR can pass all DVD-A material, and has been able to do so since day one.
Meridian 800 --> 568.2 or 861 processor. See above.
These solutions aren't budget priced by any stretch of the imagination and they are proprietary to the companies involved.
In both cases, they (Denon and Meridian) will also have to support a standardized interface by 2005, provided one is available by that time. They won't have to retrofit existing players, but will have to include the standardized interface on players and receivers/processors by that time.
The Pioneer solution is not yet 4C approved, and I couldn't get a solid answer on its ability to pass all data (including copy protected) via the interface at CEDIA.
Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks