What's new

DVD Audio Question (1 Viewer)

Lin Park

Second Unit
Hope this doesn't violate the forum rules but I have several albums where my only copy is on a DVD-A disc. I would like to listen to these when I am at work or on the go so I really need a CD version of them. Is there a way to create a CD from the DVD-A disk if I have a DVD player in my PC and a CD burner as well? To me, this is no different than making a tape of a vinyl album but others may disagree.

Thanx,

Lin

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
I don't know of any DVD drive on the PC that will play DVD-A (or more correcly, any software that would support this feature), and frankly, I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

Just feed your hi-res stereo mix from DVD-A's analog outputs into your soundcard's line-in input using the proper adapter cable, record it into your computer at 44.1kHz 16-bit resolution with good levels, and then burn that onto CD with track markers inserted by you.

It's a bit of hassle, but this kind of copying falls into the "fair-use" category of home/car use.

Or, just go to the 2nd hand CD store and pick up a used CD version. Quicker, simpler, pretty cheap usually.

-JNS

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I believe you may have difficulty making analog copies due to DVD-A's watermark copy oritection if it is on the disc. Otherwise, Jagan's method is right on. Only problem is does your PC DVD player support DVD-Audio? You will need to plug the L/R of your DVD-A deck into your soundcard line in, record to WAV files, then edit/split the WAV files and burn the CD. The same method lots of people use to make CDs from OOP vinyl. A bit of a pain in the ass, but very common practice.

NP: Dave Matthews Band: Crash

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks