1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

DVD Audio Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lin Park, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

Hope this doesn't violate the forum rules but I have several albums where my only copy is on a DVD-A disc. I would like to listen to these when I am at work or on the go so I really need a CD version of them. Is there a way to create a CD from the DVD-A disk if I have a DVD player in my PC and a CD burner as well? To me, this is no different than making a tape of a vinyl album but others may disagree.

Thanx,

Lin

2. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

I don't know of any DVD drive on the PC that will play DVD-A (or more correcly, any software that would support this feature), and frankly, I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

Just feed your hi-res stereo mix from DVD-A's analog outputs into your soundcard's line-in input using the proper adapter cable, record it into your computer at 44.1kHz 16-bit resolution with good levels, and then burn that onto CD with track markers inserted by you.

It's a bit of hassle, but this kind of copying falls into the "fair-use" category of home/car use.

Or, just go to the 2nd hand CD store and pick up a used CD version. Quicker, simpler, pretty cheap usually.

-JNS

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I believe you may have difficulty making analog copies due to DVD-A's watermark copy oritection if it is on the disc. Otherwise, Jagan's method is right on. Only problem is does your PC DVD player support DVD-Audio? You will need to plug the L/R of your DVD-A deck into your soundcard line in, record to WAV files, then edit/split the WAV files and burn the CD. The same method lots of people use to make CDs from OOP vinyl. A bit of a pain in the ass, but very common practice.

NP: Dave Matthews Band: Crash